Join for free
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 11:56 PM

Forum manners

I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the tendency for some potentially interesting threads to end up in petty arguments and semantics, which detract from the original subject of the thread. I don't contribute as much as I might as I fear getting frustrated by misinterpretations which end up derailing things. It's a pity, and I wonder if there is any way round this.

Please note this is not directed at anyone, just an observation that disturbs me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 12:18 AM

Re: Forum manners

I wonder if there is any way round this
Hi Ania it is easy for members to inadvertently get drawn into 'petty arguments' which can spoil a thread for everyone.
Best to have your say on the subject in question and ignore the posts which frustrate.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 12:48 AM

[QUOTE=orangutan;403030]I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the tendency for some potentially interesting threads to end up in petty arguments and semantics, which detract from the original subject of the thread. I don't contribute as much as I might as I fear getting frustrated by misinterpretations which end up derailing things. It's a pity, and I wonder if there is any way round this.

Please note this is not directed at anyone, just an observation that disturbs me.QUOTE]

Let's hope this post is not misinterpreted too, though I do agree there can be rather a lot of 'nit-picking' sometimes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Well I would welcome anyone who doesn't understand what I write or think I have said something shocking to first pm me and check because honestly I rarely (I believe) say anything very shocking and certainly think I am writing in English.

Also I often write from my own experiences, I am not writing about everyone or all of the world just what I see and experience in my little corner of it.

It is distressing how threads disintegrate into people misunderstanding what I have written. I have tried to address my posting style when people point out it is me at fault but I am floundering here as some people seem to understand and only one or two people seem not to. I am unsure what I can do to get them to see what I am saying any clearer than I do without writing like a proper essay and for me a forum is a relaxed place to talk so I tend to write as I would talk, others do it and don't get in the same situations I do. It's interesting to me it only happens here I post on other forums and obviously talk in real life and people understand what I say easy enough.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 10:09 AM

I don't know what it is really, some people tend to scrutinize every word posted and in my opinion thats not fair, the whole post should be read as if you were listening to the person speaking and not picking out single words or even a sentence that doesn't suit you then harp on it to the point of frustrating everyone else. That's part of the difference between the written word and the spoken word and allowances should be made for that difference, a post by a member is not a "Hear ye hear ye declaration to be nailed to a tree. As for everyone agreeing with one another on this forum, Thats all poppycock, there are folks here from all over the world and each of them have their own ideas about the world and it's good and bad points.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 10:24 AM

I agree with jem.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Yep that's why I said take it to pm because then it gets it off the forum and stops things getting derailed. Unless derailing is the intent ? a kind of trolling I think it could be construed as.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Take it in yer stride I say - no big deal ......
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I'm getting more than a bit fed up with the tendency for some potentially interesting threads to end up in petty arguments and semantics, which detract from the original subject of the thread. I don't contribute as much as I might as I fear getting frustrated by misinterpretations which end up derailing things. It's a pity, and I wonder if there is any way round this.

Please note this is not directed at anyone, just an observation that disturbs me.

A good point being made & confess to be guilty of putting in "one liners" and unwanted & unnecessary comments. I can see that it must be annoying.
Will try to limit myself to fuller posts.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-01-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
A good point being made & confess to be guilty of putting in "one liners" and unwanted & unnecessary comments. I can see that it must be annoying.
Will try to limit myself to
Can't say personally I have found you to be any sort of problem Robert, one liners are fine we can't all write an essay every time we post.

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top