Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Re: Tesco value?

I completely loathe supermarkets - all of them - and avoid them as much as possible, but they are a fact of life and cannot be completely ignored. My cats both like Whiskas - so I usually check who has the cheapest options on that and go there. I only buy cleaning products, washing powder and tinned/dried food from supermarkets, and then only brands that I trust. ASDA and ALDI own products lack the quality of Sainsbury or Waitrose, LIDL aren't bad. Don't like Tesco or Morrisons at all. Never shop in M&S.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I'll check how many legs on the sausages, chops & steaks and let you know ben!
If there's a leg hanging off any of those Steve - chuck 'em away
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:52 PM

There is a 24 hr Tesco near us and I hate it with a passion! It's one of those huge stores where you walk for ages before you got to groceries. I occasionally went there when my daughter lived abroad for some seasoning that she liked, if I got anything for myself to save time I was always disappointed. The fruit and veg were very poor.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I completely loathe supermarkets - all of them - and avoid them as much as possible, but they are a fact of life and cannot be completely ignored. My cats both like Whiskas - so I usually check who has the cheapest options on that and go there. I only buy cleaning products, washing powder and tinned/dried food from supermarkets, and then only brands that I trust. ASDA and ALDI own products lack the quality of Sainsbury or Waitrose, LIDL aren't bad. Don't like Tesco or Morrisons at all. Never shop in M&S.
Don't write ALDI off completely ST.

We've done more food shopping at ALDI in the past 4 months because we've found the quality has improved greatly and we think it's much better than LIDL is now.

In one particular case last year - Whole Salmon - it was as good as Waitrose.

There was a specific reason my daughter wanted a whole salmon and she had thought to buy it from Waitrose but a friend who works for Waitrose told her that the ALDI one from the same source and so it was just as good but a lot cheaper!

We've had Gammon joints twice recently from ALDI too - almost half the price of ASDA and not salty.

As for your saying "only buy cleaning products, washing powder and tinned/dried food from supermarkets, and then only brands that I trust", that may be true in your area but around where we live you can buy named brands cheaper in our town than you can in supermarkets - and we've got them all here except a decent sized Co-op.

ASDA locally are offering a well-known brand of bleach - "only a £1"
We can get the same one (same size too) in our town Home Bargains shop for 89p!

It may be different where you live - I understand that but we do shop around quite a lot but do not compromise on quality if we can help it but if it's beyond our price we don't buy it - simples! stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Thanks Stevmk2, will have another look at Aldi. The one near me has just been revamped. I am fortunate enough to have a Farm shop - well, a Farm shed really - just a mile down the road. Most of the produce is from two farms within a five mile radius so is really fresh, seasonal and cheap. I don't mind that it is not washed or trimmed, am happy to that myself.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 06:21 PM

I forgot to mention our opinion of our Tesco meat!

The steak was frying steak and we did it rare and it was a little bit chewy with not much real taste to be honest but we've had the same with far more expensive steak in the past so - er - passable but we won't buy them again in Tesco!

Chops & Sausages yet to be tried but we did have the meal deal which was Aberdeen Angus Meatballs in an Italian-style sauce with roasted veggies and that was lovely.

In terms of ingredients and additives it was pretty good too with very little salt either - can't be too careful.

The sweet was rubbish - like Playdoh but the wine's not been opened yet - looks OK though and it'll do for a friend who likes red wine! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2014, 09:20 AM

I won't use Tescos - for idealogical reasons. One of their senior Directors was Dame Shirley Porter (her of the gerrymandering of housing for votes in Westminster City Council). The District Aiditors found her 'guilty' and fined her £30Million. She absconded to Israel before the courts could catch up with her.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2014, 10:13 AM

Can't say I worry who owns a shop. cheap prices and convenience are what I value. Sometimes principles just have to be ignored when you need to feed the family.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

21-01-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I won't use Tescos - for idealogical reasons.
We don't usually use Tesco Joe because, as far as quality is concerned, we feel they're well-down the league tables and always have been.

This brief 'flirtation' with Tesco may only be a one-off for us because we've never used them much anyway in the past and it's not likely to change either!

I'm just passing on my opinions on the 'deals' we went for last week, not praising Tesco in any way. stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top