Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Grandma, granma or gran!?

Patsy's thread got me thinking - with all these synonyms for relationships, which ones do you use and which can you think of, and perhaps which countries use which?

I'll start, please feel free to add your own and/or any other info.

Mother
- Mum (UK)
- Mom (US)
- Mummy

Father
- Dad (UK)
- Pop? (US)
- Pappa (European?)

Grandmother
- Grandma
- Granma
- Gran
- Grannie
- Nan
- Nanny

Grandfather
- Grandad
- Grandpa
- Grump? (Just kidding )

Son
- Son
???

Daughter
- Daughter

Friend
- Mate
- Bro
- Buddy
- Pal
- Sis
- Best friend
- Girl Friend

Others
- Aunt
- Aunty
- Uncle
- Niece
- Nephew
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 02:48 PM

Re: Grandma, granma or gran!?

Really funny you should mention this Azz - I struggled over using the 'right' term
Thought someone might pull me up on my term used but I had to choose one !
Called my nan - nan
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Really funny you should mention this Azz - I struggled over using the 'right' term
Thought someone might pull me up on my term used but I had to choose one !
Called my nan - nan
I don't think there is a right or wrong term tbh Patsy - they are all nicknames unless you use the full term, such as Grandmother
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Bit on the posh side for a cockney gal
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Mum

Dad

Son was known as the little lad, i was the big lad. Used to say to him "stop that or you will get the big lads treatment", his response was "you will get the little lads treatment"

Friend is usually mate, or marra,

Cant answer for grandparents, but Uncle and Aunty, and Sis usual.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:08 PM

My beloved grandparent was Nan or nanna, the less grandmotherly one was Granny and she hated it. I seem to be Nan or Nanna and little Grace calls her real Grand mother Granny which she hates too Her other grandmother (paternal) is Mrs Jones but she has only met once since she was born and I can't see that changing sadly, sadly because the woman seemed nice enough and must be quite upset she never sees little Gracie.

My husband is Grumpy or Dad depends on the weather it seems as either can come out of her mouth
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:20 PM

I'm 'Nanna' - 'cos 'Grandma' makes me feel old . OH was always 'Grandad though!

Gwyn
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:21 PM

Mine were always - Mummy, Daddy, Grandma, Granddad, Auntie, Uncle - at least when speaking to them.

When speaking about them to a third party it would be the more formal Mother, Father etc.,

Oh - and the brother !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-01-2014, 03:24 PM

I like 'nanna' - loverly ....
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2014, 03:26 PM

Oh, I forgot to add - when I was a child, all Mum and Dad's friends were accorded the title of 'Aunt' or 'Uncle'.

Gwyn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top