Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 04:46 PM

A new approach to nuisance calls.

Why not turn those nuisance calls into entertaining fun calls? I must warn you this only works if you have a warped and peculiar sense of humour.

The majority of nuisance calls I have received recently are concerning:-

1. Green energy
2. My computer
3. Windows on my computer.

1. A call which usually starts with the caller telling you it is regarding the “Government’s Green Energy Scheme”
Start by asking if they have any other colours Green is so last year and totally inappropriate for winter, a nice warm orange or red for winter, keep the green for spring and then a nice cool blue for the hot summer days could they do that? Come to that what is wrong with the transparent energy we have now? Why are we changing it does it have to be coloured?
Well you get the drift.

2 It’s about your computer is another favourite opening. Reply by saying you were about to ring them and ask when they were bringing it back, they’ve had for over a fortnight and they told me it was only a simple fault and quick to put right. The caller will try to interrupt you but just ignore his/her attempted interruptions feigning to get more angry demanding the immediate return of your computer or else. This can be kept up until the caller rings off in exasperation.

3 Its about Windows is yet another favourite opening. At this point you compliment most fulsomely on your new windows that they installed a few weeks ago, how delighted you are, how much warmer your home is thanks to the new triple glazed windows, how much quieter due to the reduced street noise, and being self cleaning such a blessing, and how quickly and efficiently their fitters installed them. You, of course, will recommend them to all your family and friends.

At about this point allow one of the caller’s attempted interruptions to get through the caller has, in my experience, been trying to tell you they mean Windows for your computer; at which point you say that would be silly why would your computer need a window over the screen what will you suggest next? Curtain? Blinds?

It works for me and beats getting mad
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Re: A new approach to nuisance calls.

Brilliant - I must remember those !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 05:21 PM

Just read these out to Wal - he thinks they are all worth using
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 06:07 PM

'Green is 'so' last year' - love that !
I'm a little devil with these callers too
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 06:36 PM

I did a similar thing 3 days ago. I had this call asking about my health ( I've no idea what they were trying to sell) so I told them that my wife and I had just come back from walking the coast to coast (200 miles) and yes, I had got achy legs ! After a few more white lies I said someone was at the door and I had to go.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Why not turn those nuisance calls into entertaining fun calls? I must warn you this only works if you have a warped and peculiar sense of humour.
I did something similar recently then got a second call saying 'you are a silly 'f' ing 'w' ...
Be warned..
So I am back to replacing the receiver without comment ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Yes sadly they can get very cross if you try to be funny, and they can keep ringing you back swearing etc. They don't have the best sense of humour at all.

But love the ideas in the OP absolutely brilliant !
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 04:18 AM

I look at caller ID, and if I don't recognize the caller I do not answer. I have learned that if you engage a caller, they will just call back. So, I ignore and it works.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Ignore is best advice.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Angelfire ->
I look at caller ID, and if I don't recognize the caller I do not answer. I have learned that if you engage a caller, they will just call back. So, I ignore and it works.
We too look at caller id on the house phone and then ignore callers, most people know to use my mobile anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top