Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Ghost Ship.

There are reports in all the papers here of a ship infested with 'Cannibalistic Rats' is heading our way, there are enough of them in power here as it is, do we need any more I ask. We have an ex army piper who drinks in the local, maybe he could help out, we don't call him the Pie Eyed Piper for nothing.

"A ghost ship full of cannibalistic rats may be headed towards Irish shorelines. The unmanned 1,600-tonne MV Lyubov Orlova has been drifting in the Atlantic with no crew or tracking beacon for nearly a year.
Originally a cruise-liner designed to take holidaymakers on tours around the Arctic, the Russian-registered cruise ship was cut adrift while being towed from Canada in February 2013.
The 40-year-old cruise liner, which was built in the former Yugoslavia and named after a 1930s Russian actress, was accidentally lost en route to the Dominican Republic after the tow line between the ship and an American-owned tug broke. According to reports, 50km/h winds prevented the crew from reconnecting the ships, and the Orlova was left to drift out into the ocean.
Coastguards, satellite providers and a team of Dutch salvage hunters have spent the last 12 months trying to track down the ship. Maritime law dictates that if you discover a derelict vessel, you are entitled to claim ownership and the owner must pay a release fee. However, despite their best efforts, neither satellite technology nor scuba-diving adventurers have been able to track down the 100-metre long cruise liner, which boasts a restaurant and a gym"
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:53 PM

Re: Ghost Ship.

Well as we have no navy, can i suggest we get a couple of sailors, a rowing boat, and chuck a torpedo at it when its found. Simple solutions are the best, too much over-thinking these days.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:55 PM

How do they know there are any rats and that they are cannibalistic ? sounds like rather a panicky over reaction to me. But I agree an torpedo will do the job.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Ooooer
I hope they have tons of rat poison in tow .....
Its a creepy story Jem - like that ship dont wanna be found, do you think those rats are all powerful ......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Yes too much over thinking today Nom, grab the bull by the horns and get on with it, best policy.

Bit like the Marie Celeste, creepy. They don't know exactly where it is at the moment, amazing isn't it modern technology, they can find spots on the Sun and they cant spot a huge ship in the Atlantic. They think the recent storms may have set it on a course for the Achill Islands or Portugal.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 03:36 PM

I'll have to send my son over. He's part of a team who have successfully eradicated rats on St. Agnes on the Isles of Scilly.

Just realised though (bit dim!) that if they are cannibal rats there will be none left, apart from maybe one big fat one!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Just realised though (bit dim!) that if they are cannibal rats there will be none left, apart from maybe one big fat one!
Indeed CC I thought the same, surely after over a year they would have eaten each other by now.

There has to be the final one of course, that's if he hasn't starved by now.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 05:16 PM

I'll have to send my son over. He's part of a team who have successfully eradicated rats on St. Agnes on the Isles of Scilly.

Intrigued CC, was that to do with preserving wildlife? .
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Intrigued CC, was that to do with preserving wildlife? .

Yes, to encourage the bird population back to the island.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

24-01-2014, 05:55 PM

Yes, to encourage the bird population back to the island.
Thats good to hear, something similar was done to eradicate introduced Hedgehogs on some of the Scottish Isles.

Ive done bit of voluntary work to re-establish Otters in my county, and it was successful and its delightful to encounter these on occasion. Double edged sword of course as they do predate birds, but on the bright side they have seen of the Mink that were released by the Animal Liberation Front from a Mink farm, that promptly devastated all the local ponds and lakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top