Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Re: Being overprotective of your children

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I didn't mention my daughter, but clergy in general.
really

As a concerned mother I am worried that my vicar daughter is unable to wear anything on her head in very hot weather when performing a burial, as she is doing tomorrow.

I have taken it upon myself to e-mail the Archbishop to see if he can devise a suitable piece of headgear for his clergy to protect them from the sun.

I will see what sort of response I get. I haven't as yet informed my girl that I have contacted him.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 11:36 AM

It's a whole different ball game these days. Some of the dangers that were already around years ago have intensified and there are so many other hazards as well.

I wouldn't like to be bringing up kids these days.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
It's a whole different ball game these days. Some of the dangers that were already around years ago have intensified and there are so many other hazards as well.

I must admit I am glad the Internet and mobile phones were not around when my children were growing up. Child abuse was something hidden in days of yore, at least it is being brought out into the open these days.

I got chatting to three young boys yesterday who were scooting passed our home, when I was on our drive. I teased them saying that I bet I could have scooted faster than them when I was their age. They asked me about my childhood and I gave them a few anecdotes, which made their hair stand on end. I then told them they must inform their parents that I had spoken to them, as they must beware of stranger danger. Fortunately they had already had that talk and knew they should never be taken in by anyone.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Weren't you recently carrying on and writing to archbishops because your vicar daughter had to stand 30 minutes in the sun without a hat conducting a funeral

To me,I would say,Tara,was a concerned mother,not an over protective one,...Tara,I was an over protective mother,it did me no favours,they rebelled,one broke his wrist twice,through going out of school at lunch,they were never aloud to be out of my sight,right up to age 15,I made sure I never made that mistake with the third,..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->

Me neither,Nicol,especially with all this grooming,that can happen to youngsters on the Internet,not to mention the bullying!.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Hi

You do not wrap your children in cotton wool.

What you do do is make sure that if they ever do get in trouble they can talk to you about it.

That is what we are here for.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Well that p****d on the chips as we say in the North .
Read the thread, and it transpired that said daughter's name was never mentioned in the letter.

So much hot air on herell

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=54651

p.s. love that expression solo!!!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You do not wrap your children in cotton wool.

What you do do is make sure that if they ever do get in trouble they can talk to you about it.

That is what we are here for.
Our kids have always known they could speak to their father and I if they have problems.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:36 PM

I think it is a great mistake for a parent to seek to protect their children from all harm, it doesn't set them up for life in a good way. Obviously when they are infants they need a lot of protection, but the ties need to be loosened as they get older.

Our children took themselves to primary school, which was nearby, from the age of seven, we expected them to be careful when crossing the road. Even when our youngest daughter was knocked down by a car, when running across the road without looking, but was fortunate enough to escape with only a cut knee, she still had to walk herself to school. She got a telling off and had to apologise to the driver of the car for her stupidity.

We are proud of the way our girls have turned out they are decent responsible adults.
Yes, it does sound as though your children have turned out surprisingly well. Well done!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:52 PM

I think it is a great mistake for a parent to seek to protect their children from all harm, it doesn't set them up for life in a good way.
As a concerned mother I am worried that my vicar daughter is unable to wear anything on her head in very hot weather when performing a burial, as she is doing tomorrow.

I have taken it upon myself to e-mail the Archbishop to see if he can devise a suitable piece of headgear for his clergy to protect them from the sun.
Hmmm - so you think it's a mistake but you do it anyway.
Why? Surely your daughter could handle this herself.

You do contradict yourself at times Tara!

Did you get any response from the Archbishop?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top