Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Re: The Factory - Toilet Rolls

I have to admit to enjoying the whole series of In The Factory
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 08:09 PM

What made me smile was when they put the two different ply together at the end they call it a marriage. Nuff sed
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Did anyone see the Documentary the other night on how they make Toilet Rolls, Kitchen Rolls, Tissues etc.

It was really interesting, how they chop down the Trees and it all goes to a factory in Manchester, and it showed you all the stages it goes through to make our Toilet paper.

You should watch it.

I think it is repeated tonight on one of the different channels.
Unfortunately, I didn't see it. My background is electrical engineering. Much of what we designed was equipment for driving the paper making machines so I saw the process first hand at many mills in this and other countries. A couple of points if I may.

Much/most of the paper made in tissue mills is recycled rather than from wood. Some mills claim to be 100% recycled. Soft woods are grown in northern Europe - Finland for example. These are fast growing long fibre softwoods and harvested at sustainable rate. Some countries use sugar cane waste called bagasse.

Yes, a lot of water is used in paper making. The "paper" starts with about a 1-2% suspension of cellulose fibre in water. This is squirted on to the "wire", at the "wet" end. The wire is a mesh continuous belt. The rest of the process is designed to extract the water by pressing in on to felts and taking it round steam heated drying cylinders then reeling it up into huge reels at the dry end. Typically 100 metres down the line.

That's it in a nutshell. It is a continuous process running 24/7. The endless web it has been called.

All that water? It gets reused.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top