Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Re: Mot

Sorry, but quality is not the only consideration, a cheap set of tyres on a car with perfect steering and suspension geometry, will last longer than a quality set of tyres, on a car with iffy tracking, or suspension woes, be careful where you spend your cash, for the sake of piece of mind.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2019, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sorry, but quality is not the only consideration, a cheap set of tyres on a car with perfect steering and suspension geometry, will last longer than a quality set of tyres, on a car with iffy tracking, or suspension woes, be careful where you spend your cash, for the sake of piece of mind.
True. Dodgy tracking can ruin a tyre in no time at all.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 06:10 AM

My little Fiesta was due for MOT on 27th Feb;so I popped in on my way home on 13th,to book the test. Neil said,"If you can give me ten minutes,Pug,we'll have a look" [so I'd know what needed doing,y'see] ...I was bloody AMAZED,when Mick [the chief mechanic] said "You need an offside brake bulb,we've got one here" which I helped him change...and it PASSED!

I usually bomb about in my Land Rover...the little Fiesta gets an outing 'now & then'...so I was TRULY amazed to get an MOT ticket for 'one year & two weeks'! YAY.

But it's true about tyres. I'll use ONLY Avons on my bikes [Yammys,both of them] and my Land Rover. But the Fiesta has 'Budget' tyres...which grip the road PERFECTLY,even when frost,hoss-poo or/and spilled fluids [read 'diesel'-usually from a tractor] is on the corners of the lanes out here.
Mind you-it's light,a little 1300,that has front-wheel drive. So it's got the advantage over heavier rear-wheel drive cars like Beemers or Audis.

[yay British!]
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Here in NI, MOTs are done by the government so theres no chance you are going to be ripped off, you either pass or you fail

And they are strict, if the car is dirty underneath its a fail as they cant inspect it

Although saying that, they don't do emission testing on diesels
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Here in NI, MOTs are done by the government so theres no chance you are going to be ripped off, you either pass or you fail

And they are strict, if the car is dirty underneath its a fail as they cant inspect it

Although saying that, they don't do emission testing on diesels
It has changed a lot here too Missy. Passing the MOT used to be a case of which garage you used, whether you knew the mechanic or how much you bunged him but it doesn't seem to be like that any more.

I do remember going to a well known garage for my MOT, it passed but the mechanic tried to charge me £10 extra, when I asked why, he said it was because he had passed it. I refused to pay and he passed it anyway. A few months later, I read that he had been arrested.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:00 PM

If you can find a council run MOT centre , they can do it, and won’t try and look for extra work, as they don’t do repairs
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:09 PM

I wonder how that will work under the new MOT rules where if your car has a fault classed as dangerous you are legally not allowed to drive it away from the test station? Might be a good time to buy a recovery truck and hang around MOT stations.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I wonder how that will work under the new MOT rules where if your car has a fault classed as dangerous you are legally not allowed to drive it away from the test station? Might be a good time to buy a recovery truck and hang around MOT stations.
You will have to arrange for it to be transported to be repaired..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:44 PM

cars with air suspension are the quick death of car types. I had a Toyota Lancruiser 4.2 diesel with air suspension. What happens is when turning a corner the wheel "leans over" onto its outside edge as well as turning thus thus causes wear on that part of the tyre.You can cut the tyre life by 60% with air suspension in my opinion.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quality is always important, especially when you are talking about car wheels.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top