Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2019, 08:16 AM

Re: Mot

Originally Posted by Pug ->
TOTALLY agree,marmaduke.
BOTH coils are the same age and therefore done the same miles.
So replace both,or neither. Invariably,''Honest John's MOT Centre'' will inform you its the n/s coil that's taken most beating...which is rubbish,as cat's-eyes,potholes and dips are invariably in the outer section of a road.

Also;funny how,considering the n/s coil was shot,it didn't need tracking,don't you think mate?
Shropshiregirl-just have that checked hon...it may just prove you were ripped off!

A quick look on eBay

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3C39773-6C4A-4830-9C14-1A867BE73E7B.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	8927   Click image for larger version

Name:	F59BD918-C399-4D04-BF9C-1E9763916635.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	8928  
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 04:48 AM

...kinda proves our point [and,btw - NICE bit of work there,marmy] that a certain lady should take her car AND that page back to the MOT centre and ask them to explain. Even with labour costs,the VERY most should be circa £60 for changing the PAIR...which are SUPPOSED to be kept for the customer to see,btw. [Neil told me that...MOT examiner]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Coils tend to fracture, not wear, that is why they fail the MOT.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Coils tend to fracture, not wear, that is why they fail the MOT.

Blimey!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 09:38 AM

2 or 3 times I've seen bits of broken coil lying on speed bumps.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Not under askance,chaps...but whether the supports,nuts,coils or washers are worn,whether there were/are fractures across the support-post,or whether the coil per-se has fractured [admittedly,not unusual],or whether the whole shebang needed replacing,it's decent and accepted practice to SHOW the customer the part that's been replaced and explain to/show to, the 'lesser-mechanically minded' of the population,what was wrong and why it's been replaced.....usually at bloody ridiculous cost...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 05:52 PM

Funny you should say about being shown the worn parts Pugsy, I typed this in the motoring section at the time. I bought one of my workhorses a couple of years ago, a Mondeo 1.8 petrol 04 reg, but with only 78000 miles on the clock, 12 Main Dealer stamps in the service book, but, the clutch was starting to bite low, so as a precaution and because the car was so good, I bought a Clutch of the internet, for about £100.00, and paid £260.00 labour at my local garage. When I got the car back, the clutch seemed to be biting in the same place, so, I put it down to being a characteristic of the car, but over the next few weeks it got progressively worse, and by the time I had covered 9000 miles, it was slipping beyond belief. The garage tried to wriggle saying, the part I supplied was of inferior quality, but, I reckon, the job was never done in the first place.

That was very annoying!!1
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK

07-03-2019, 10:25 PM

I can believe that,spitty. YOU buy a clutch,rather than have the garage supply a 'genuine approved part' one [always at silly costs] and LO! ...the poxy thing packs up within weeks,rather than years...and it's because you bought an 'Honest John's Genuine Parts' joke,rather than the correct item.

...which makes one wonder...if they knew that-WHY did they fit it,knowing it would very soon fail and may kill/injure anyone hit by,or in,the vehicle when it did??? Nah,mate - I do my own mechanical work. I can trust me. The MOT's are the garage's responsibility,but the servicing/replacing worn-out parts,is done by me. If it's something I genuinely do need assistance with,such as a rebore on the tractor,then the machine goes to an accredited service station,such as Doe's. [who actually also do excellent work-boots and batteries,etc] But no-I don't trust garages to replace bits you hand them.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top