Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2019, 07:50 PM

Re: Rant warning

bosses don't give a damn about their employees I very nearly put the lights out on mine.

applied for the second year for ealy vol retirement after being refused the first time.

Second time had to work 12 weeks prior to leaving. 3 day before I was to leave, having sold my house and buying kennels and staying with S-I_Law with possessions in storage I got called into the office got there and told I was not going. only three day to go "bastard"

I have never seen red rage before but boy did I see it then . How my boss didn't get decked was down to workmates holding me back.

well after that he had the cheek to say after 22 years of working for BT with a huge string of qualifications to work on most switchboard, he said I was not the type BT wanted, he nearly got plastered again for that remark

So i got out under a cloud, it wasn't till later I found out I and one other guy in the whole of the London South East area had qualifications to work on certain switchboards.

So Julie I know exactly how you feel and so glad Sue and I decided to run our own business and vowed never to treat our staff the same way.

I think the main problem is they get know nothing bosses from University and not those who came in at ground level and worked their way up.
My first boss was an apprentice originally and completely understood the problems , the last one just had not got a clue.

Julie you have to look after yourself as much as possible and not allow to be walked on,those up top as I said they don't give a damn you are just a number to them not a person with feelings
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Sound advice if I may say so.
And keep hard copy.
I agree.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 08:17 AM

I was a loyal employee once upon a time . I would give 100% of my time to my employers . Often working extra time for no extra money . I once worked for 7 years in a small accountants I gave notice to leave and worked hard for the last month . It was about 10 weeks after I left I took my daughters accounts into the office and saw one of my ex bosses , I stopped to say hello and he didn't even remember who i was !

Another of my bosses used to pay me from 9am till 5.30 PM yet I was to be at the counter from 8.30 until well after 6pm counting up receipts and cash to make the till balance.

Now I'm lucky enough to receive my state pension

I feel for you julie I really do
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:11 AM

I gave my kids three pieces of advice that have served them well.

The salient is one that I believe should be taken on board by everyone, especially those about to join the job market.

Never ever lose sight of that you are only EVER a resource.

A unique resource amongst all other resources that an employee has, but nonetheless just a resource.

The moment that you cost more than your value you must be let go.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My boss has annoyed me so much I nearly handed my notice in !

He failed to pay me correct hours in July and forgot the tea towel washing payment.
He failed to rectify that and then only paid me 45 hours in september instead of 60 and again forgot the tea towels.

And he texted me half way through my holiday to say I have lost my car parking space and will have to pay to park and walk well over half a mile to and from my car each evening ! Just when its getting dark at night too.

If I swore I'd be swearing now ! How he has the nerve to say whoops it's a mistake I cannot understand. If I put in half effort I'd soon get the sack so why is he allowed to do this ? Aaaarrrgh !!
Julie, I would certainly ask your employer what alternative arrangement he has put in place for your lost car parking space. I would imagine that as an employer he has a duty of care towards you and with the nights drawing in so quickly now,and you having to walk half a mile from having to park elsewhere, he is putting your safety at risk for the job.

Do you have a contract of employment?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Julie, I would certainly ask your employer what alternative arrangement he has put in place for your lost car parking space. I would imagine that as an employer he has a duty of care towards you and with the nights drawing in so quickly now,and you having to walk half a mile from having to park elsewhere, he is putting your safety at risk for the job.

Do you have a contract of employment?
Where contracts of employment are concerned always keep in mind "custom and practice".

If push comes to shove it's a thing that most industrial tribunals will / should be taking into account.

It's a complex matter, this isn't the place to dig into it, but it's a little known facet where employment law is concerned and can be a lifesaver.

Also keep this old Yiddish proverb in mind --- .The weakest ink always beats the best memory
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:49 AM

I don't know if I do have a contract I was tuped over about 5 years ago so my contract was with my last company but I have never been asked to sign anything with this one. I have looked them up on line and I am not alone it seems they have dreadful reviews as an employer.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 10:56 AM

you contract is carried over with T.U.P.E .When we a sold out business to do things properly we saw an employment solicitor and she spent a long time explaining staff transfers from one to another employer and T.U.P.E . If you wern't given a copy of your employment contract then they were breaking the law. You are entitled to a copy so ask the new employers for one, something they can't refuse to do. The can offer you a new contract which I suspect won't be as good as he one you should have had and still entitled to.

Under TUPE Law, the Contracts Of Employees Must Be Transferred In Total.

Where an employee's employment has transferred to a new employer under TUPE, the employer will be able to make contractual changes if it has an ETO reason for doing so. However, changes imposed simply because the employer wishes to harmonise terms and conditions between two groups of employees will not be valid.

worth reading

https://www.acas.org.uk/tupe
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

23-09-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't know if I do have a contract I was tuped over about 5 years ago so my contract was with my last company but I have never been asked to sign anything with this one. I have looked them up on line and I am not alone it seems they have dreadful reviews as an employer.
The legislation where TUPE is concerned is very clear, very explicit and totally unambiguous.

The contract that you were employed under still applies in each and every respect unless and until you accept a different one BUT beware of the "custom and practice" factor which can work both ways.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Thank you both for the information.

Just had a text from the manager telling me he made a mistake not to worry he will put it right next month. That's what he said last month !

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top