Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 11:20 PM

Re: Electric Shaver recommendations please.

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I've got a super duper Braun one and it's no better than the cheaper Phillip's ones.

Boots do some good deals, if it were up to me I would go back to one of the Phillip's rechargeable 3 head ones. The mega expensive ones just have weird cleaning machines that I never use.
Thanks Bread, Philip's shavers appear to be popular. I wouldn't be getting a too expensive one though, not for his first shaver. I'll have a look at the ones in Boots next time I'm in town.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I use a phillips aqua dry shaver , it can be used wet or dry, , boots ( as someone said ) have some offers on, incidentally, if you use a rotary shaver, then it’s best to shave using a circular motion, a foil type use in straight lines, ( who knew?)
Another Philips!

Thanks for the tip about the rotary shaver and the foil shaver, Primus1...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

23-09-2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yep, same here Primus, Mrs Fox says my chin is like a babies bottom after I've shaved.....
I don't think I'll mention that to my grandson, Bob
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks Bob, that sounds interesting, I'll look into the Philishave.....
I agree with him too, hated electric shavers until I got a Philishave and its rotary blades, all the others irritated my skin. They still don't give as good a shave as a razor but good enough. What I liked was the fact that it was water proof and you could use it in the shower so my shaving routine didn't have to change.

BTW I have reverted to a beard now, much easier.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 08:13 AM

I prefer the good old fashioned double edge safety razor for a good close shave, but for a swift facial clean up without any bother I do use electric. Hitachi was in my view the best but they have stopped production, so I switched to Braun. However, I was in Tesco's not long ago and noticed a Wahl on sale at a straight £40, so thought I would give it a try. WOW I was impressed how well it performed. I'm not exactly taken with its ultra modern bright yellow colour, but for shaving performance it certainly gets my vote :thumbup: I checked on-line and my purchase from Tesco saved me £23.63 compared to Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Lifepr...SIN=B07DJ88XT2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 08:14 AM

I use a Braun Series 9 in dry mode, although it can be used with water and a shaving gel if that's the preference. I used Philishave razors for years but find the Braun gives a slightly closer shave.

The razor came with its own cleaning and charging station but after a while, I found this was an unnecessary item and now prefer to clean it by using a dry paint brush on the razor body and running the shaving head under running warm water.

One disadvantage of the Braun is that it is quite noisy compared to a Philishave. When running next to the ears (as it has to be) this can be a factor to consider. If a more peaceful time in the mornings is important, get a Philishave.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 09:05 AM

... another vote for Philips 3 rotary floating heads.

I renewed mine recently, went to John Lewis then Boots ... poor selection, stocking the most expensive models with a supposed discount. I found what I wanted at Argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/elect...lectric+shaver

Philips dry electric shaver, simple, £40 or £50, works a treat.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

24-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I prefer the good old fashioned double edge safety razor for a good close shave, but for a swift facial clean up without any bother I do use electric. Hitachi was in my view the best but they have stopped production, so I switched to Braun. However, I was in Tesco's not long ago and noticed a Wahl on sale at a straight £40, so thought I would give it a try. WOW I was impressed how well it performed. I'm not exactly taken with its ultra modern bright yellow colour, but for shaving performance it certainly gets my vote :thumbup: I checked on-line and my purchase from Tesco saved me £23.63 compared to Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Lifepr...SIN=B07DJ88XT2
Thanks LongDriver, another make for me to read up on...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

24-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree with him too, hated electric shavers until I got a Philishave and its rotary blades, all the others irritated my skin. They still don't give as good a shave as a razor but good enough. What I liked was the fact that it was water proof and you could use it in the shower so my shaving routine didn't have to change.

BTW I have reverted to a beard now, much easier.
Thanks Bruce, another one in favour of the Philishave
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

24-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I use a Braun Series 9 in dry mode, although it can be used with water and a shaving gel if that's the preference. I used Philishave razors for years but find the Braun gives a slightly closer shave.

The razor came with its own cleaning and charging station but after a while, I found this was an unnecessary item and now prefer to clean it by using a dry paint brush on the razor body and running the shaving head under running warm water.

One disadvantage of the Braun is that it is quite noisy compared to a Philishave. When running next to the ears (as it has to be) this can be a factor to consider. If a more peaceful time in the mornings is important, get a Philishave.
Thanks for your input Mart

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top