Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Mission Creep

A gradual shift in objectives during the course of a military campaign, often resulting in an unplanned long-term commitment.

Mission creep is the gradual or incremental expansion of an intervention, project or mission, beyond its original scope, focus or goals, a ratchet effect spawned by initial success.

Word of the day apparently.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Re: Mission Creep

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A gradual shift in objectives during the course of a military campaign, often resulting in an unplanned long-term commitment.

Mission creep is the gradual or incremental expansion of an intervention, project or mission, beyond its original scope, focus or goals, a ratchet effect spawned by initial success.

Word of the day apparently.

Good God Almighty Longdogs!! You've had your Ready Brek this morning! That is bafflingly profound. Where's Todger when you need him?

My explanation is about about the same as your smiley there: Not a scoobies
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Yep there are alternative words for Mission Creep: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan..several others.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Good God Almighty Longdogs!! You've had your Ready Brek this morning! That is bafflingly profound. Where's Todger when you need him?

My explanation is about about the same as your smiley there: Not a scoobies
Me neither mate, had to Google it after hearing several MPs use it this morning.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yep there are alternative words for Mission Creep: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan..several others.
Yes, that's true Keezoy.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 01:13 PM

The phrase first appeared in 1993, in articles published in the Washington Post and in the New York Times concerning the United Nations peacekeeping mission during the Somali Civil War.

I remember hearing the phrase on TV in 1993 and guessing its' meaning from its' context.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The phrase first appeared in 1993, in articles published in the Washington Post and in the New York Times concerning the United Nations peacekeeping mission during the Somali Civil War.

I remember hearing the phrase on TV in 1993 and guessing its' meaning from its' context.

Well it seems politicians have resurrected it and simply can't use the word enough today. Obviously phrases like 'Blue Sky' and 'Top down' are obsolete!

What will tomorrow bring I wonder?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top