Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Writing a CV

Being absolutely cheesed off with my job, I have decided to write my first cv, to apply for a new start, as some may remember, a few months ago I posted that I was able to retire, unfortunately my best friend apathy, came to stay and I did nothing, well, now, prompted by one of my coworkers handing in his notice,and changes again at work , I decided to be pro-active, I’ve made an appointment with a pension advisor in a few weeks to see what options are available, ideally to retire , but realistically to semi retire, and find something with less hours and less stress, I’ve listed all the jobs I’ve had over the past fourty odd years, included a few key words that employers like apparently , but I’m struggling with my education, I left school with not very many passes, if indeed any at all, not even sure if I should include any information on my school education, other than that, I think I’m making headway, I need to print it off and take a look at it before I commit to sending it..
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Re: Writing a CV

Primus1, given that you are a member of this forum, I am assuming you are 50+.

As such, I believe prospective employers will be more interested in your previous jobs and what knowledge or skills you have learned during your working life, rather than formal qualifications that may or may not have been gained while you were at school.

Good luck in your quest!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:11 PM

Primus, I agree with Last Tango.

Education was so different when we were school kids, that I am not sure it would be that relevant even.

Glad you've come o a decision this time, while your friend apathy is away and I wish you the best of luck.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:12 PM

Primus this may help.

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/mone...r-the-over-50s
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Being absolutely cheesed off with my job, I have decided to write my first cv, to apply for a new start, as some may remember, a few months ago I posted that I was able to retire, unfortunately my best friend apathy, came to stay and I did nothing, well, now, prompted by one of my coworkers handing in his notice,and changes again at work , I decided to be pro-active, I’ve made an appointment with a pension advisor in a few weeks to see what options are available, ideally to retire , but realistically to semi retire, and find something with less hours and less stress, I’ve listed all the jobs I’ve had over the past fourty odd years, included a few key words that employers like apparently , but I’m struggling with my education, I left school with not very many passes, if indeed any at all, not even sure if I should include any information on my school education, other than that, I think I’m making headway, I need to print it off and take a look at it before I commit to sending it..
You write well so your education must not have been too shoddy. I'm with others here. Your experience will count more than what you achieved in school.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:38 PM

PRIMUS - I'll go along with Last Tango's comments

A few years ago I had an acquaintance who was an employment adviser (can't remember the proper title), though I've lost touch with him now

His job was to help people who had been made redundant to find another job
And because of this, many of his clients were 'getting on a bit' (his words)

He made a couple of comments -

Qualifications are always of interest but more so for school & college leavers or fairly young people
For older people employers are more interested in their work experience & employment history

Of particular interest is -
the work that you've done in the past 12 to 24 months
Your record of attendance, punctuality, and reliability

It would be worth getting proper help with your CV
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:51 PM

I also agree with all the above. If you can't remember just make it up, everyone else does.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Primus this may help.

Some good advice there, I particularly like the idea of not stating your age. I have saved the link for future reference.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone,
It’s still very much a work in progress, but I don’t think I’m far off, the other thing is , I’m not sure what I want to do, anything really, my only criteria is no weekends, evenings, and definitely not shifts, I just want to enjoy what I do...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Primus this may help.

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Some good advice there, I particularly like the idea of not stating your age. I have saved the link for future reference.
Indeed. A useful link .....

Here's another one:

https://www.personalcareermanagement...-the-over-50s/

Here's a CV template:

https://www.fish4.co.uk/career-advic...r-cv-template/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top