Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Re: Writing a CV

Primus, I had heard quite a few times that B & Q often take on older people.
Don't know if that would appeal, or if you even have one near you to enquire?

BTW, well done No. 1 son.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 10:46 PM

These threads always assume the employer is Sage, they just hold the cards at that moment in time, often they don't know their onions, best to employ yourself, bugger the little Hitler's.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 10:59 PM

#1- Have two or three CV's each targeted at particular type of job you're going after.

#2 - Keep them short, crisp, and very straightforward.

#3 - Add a couple of handwritten lines why their particular outfit is attractive to you - even if it isn't.

#4 - Staple a passport sized photo onto your CV

#5 - Dont over sell yourself and don't tell porkies, at least not too many anyway!

Start some work in the voluntary sector and explain that you didn't want to sit around.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
These threads always assume the employer is Sage, they just hold the cards at that moment in time, often they don't know their onions, best to employ yourself, bugger the little Hitler's.
Oh that's so very true! But not that many people have the confidence or even the ability - or the chutzpah.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Hi Primus.
You may have noticed that I was recently searching for a new job (until I decided to stay where I was), and I put together my first CV for over 20 years.
I read a bit about what prospective employers like to see in this day and age and kept it brief - they like certain details to 'grab' them, they don't have the time to trawl through any more than one concise page.

They are not interested in the slightest about your school education. Make short entries about your current/last job and shorter instances of previous work, but concentrate more on the finer details such as the main jobs you actually carried out rather than incidental tasks.

Employers hate 'waffle' and they can see right through it. You can mention other stuff in your covering letter and a good thing to say in that is "I can explain more about my credentials if I am fortunate enough to be selected for an interview". They will like that. That is when you can shine and be yourself.

I would love to show you a copy of my current CV for info but obviously I cannot forward my details and personal information on a public forum.

I wish you all the best in your job hunting.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 11:14 PM

Floydy, do you think employers are insightful, or, is it a case of, they have a vacancy and you need it, In that scenario, they have hoops and you have to jump, but, next time, you may posses a hoop.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Floydy, do you think employers are insightful, or, is it a case of, they have a vacancy and you need it, In that scenario, they have hoops and you have to jump, but, next time, you may posses a hoop.
Hi bud.
I think it's a question of they know exactly what they are looking for in a person. Depending on the trade, I would say that they want somebody who will fit into a role quickly and easily without them having to watch them all the time.

I found it wasn't easy though. I sent away a few CVs but didn't get any interviews and most of the recruitment firms have all the same jobs listed on them. Nearly two months later they are still sending me pop-ups and the same posts are still empty. That shows me that they probably don't even exist.

I'll stay where I am and keep looking for a suitable daytime vacancy.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 09:12 AM

Hey Primus

I assume you're no spring chicken, but go for it! Go really OTT, make 'em laugh, don't hold back on the exaggerations, you never know your luck. OK, that's not going to work with the type of company that has its own HR dept. But your CV might get seen by a small time boss of your kind of age.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

27-09-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Hey Primus

I assume you're no spring chicken, but go for it! Go really OTT, make 'em laugh, don't hold back on the exaggerations, you never know your luck. OK, that's not going to work with the type of company that has its own HR dept. But your CV might get seen by a small time boss of your kind of age.
You can only be classed as a spring chicken if you're under the age of 55, d00d In three weeks time I'll be officially classed as an Old Bastard
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2019, 10:10 AM

For you Floydy old chap ...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top