Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Old skool fings.

Wonder who likes to keep and even use obsolete things - and why.

For example I'm very much a vinyl fan, not kinky but audio, because although to be honest I can't hear the difference between digital media and analogue recordings I think that I can.

Anyway there's something nice about watching a gert big black Deutsche Grammophon record going round accompanied by the comforting glow from a quartet of big glass vacuum tubes (valves) and the indefinable faint smell of something hot that only an old Leak amplifier makes and that certain sound that big old Leak Sandwich speakers make.

The amplifier is donkeys years old, I bought it second hand about fifty years ago and every few years spend silly money refurbishing it.

Obviously we've got modern stuff but there's something just not comfortable about glorified shaving mirrors that churn out data stream that have to crunched into something you can listen to.

Same with digital TV and when it comes to downloaded music - it's just not proper!

Recently the Memsahib discovered my old Sony MinidDisc player and a load of recorded discs. We stuck a single AA battery in together with a "Who's Next" pre recorded MiniDisk, pressed play, and away it went like a good 'un! The quality was simply outstanding. Especially when played through the Leak.

So that's another bit of old skool stuff that's back in the picture - at least in our house.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Re: Old skool fings.

We have an old wind up gramophone in working order complete with the old 78 rpm records.

We actually have another made with beautifully inlaid wood but my uncle took the motor out to put in a little motorboat he made for us when I was at primary school. I don't know how old it is but probably a hundred years or more.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:27 PM

We have a pile of vinyl records and even a cassette ‘Now that’s what I call Music 1 from way back in the dark ages.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 12:30 PM

This thread reminds me l have a boxful of 33&1/3 LP’s that l must take to the tip or somewhere.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This thread reminds me l have a boxful of 33&1/3 LP’s that l must take to the tip or somewhere.
I would check their value first Art. as we are gradually moving back towards vinyl, some of them might be worth something. Not the Liberace live albums, obviously.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:17 PM

A CD just isn't the same as opening an LP for the first time and reading all the blurb inside the sleeve, whilst listening to the recording.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
We have a pile of vinyl records and even a cassette ‘Now that’s what I call Music 1 from way back in the dark ages.
That #1 cassette could be quite valuable.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

26-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Nooooo!. Get them valued! There are on-line valuation sites for old recorded media.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would check their value first Art. as we are gradually moving back towards vinyl, some of them might be worth something. Not the Liberace live albums, obviously.
You'd be surprised:

Liberace - In Concert (Vinyl) £16.49 on Ebay

Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Some were mine but a friend gave me most of them, years ago.
They have been in the box ever since! I don’t think they can be worth a lot.

Dr Zhivago
Sound of Music
Bing Crosby White Christmas
Dusty Springfield
ABBA
Stevie Wonder
Rod Stewart
Simon and Garfunkel
Brideshead Revisited
Lots of Opera LP’s
Gilbert and Sullivan
Oklahoma
Four Tops
O’Jays
Music for the starlight hours boxed set

Plus more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top