Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 07:33 AM

TV Newspaper reviews

Why are guests invited by the BBC and other news programmes to review the stories in today's papers?

We get a columnist, or some random housewife or laughably, has-been athlete Kris Akabusi (!) to tell us what is in the news and how they interpret it.

Are we not able to read? Can we not figure out how a newspaper works or read it on the internet?
Why do we need these people to read the papers for us?

Is it because news presenters are supposed to be impartial and tell it as it is?
If so, why has the BBC's Naga Munchetty been under scrutiny for her comments, whereas Piers Morgan on ITV can say what ge likes and is far from 'impartial' in his views?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Re: TV Newspaper reviews

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Why are guests invited by the BBC and other news programmes to review the stories in today's papers?

We get a columnist, or some random housewife or laughably, has-been athlete Kris Akabusi (!) to tell us what is in the news and how they interpret it.

Are we not able to read? Can we not figure out how a newspaper works or read it on the internet?

Is it because news presenters are supposed to be impartial and tell it as it is?
If so, why has the BBC's Naga Munchetty been under scrutiny for her comments, whereas Piers Morgan on ITV can say what ge likes and is far from 'impartial' in his views?
A 'nice little earner' for a few minutes' 'work' perhaps?

I cannot answer that question but the story of Naga Munchetty becomes more and more involved!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...hVC?li=AAnZ9Ug

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ing/ar-AAHW7hU
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Re Munchetty ...I agree with what she said*, but viewers complained and it seems the beeb feel they have to act upon that.

*generally, I don't like their ad libbing in between stories.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Funny you should say that. Although I have never ever done so before, I was so incensed at the bullying, hectoring and completely biased way in which Naga Munchetty interviewed James Cleverly, Chairman of the Tory Party on the BBC morning news programme last week.

I made a point of firing off an official complaint on their online complaints form. She is meant to be an impartial News Reader, able to ask questions yes, but not act like a Political presenter, refusing to accept answers, repeatedly asking the same question over and over again, even though she has been given a direct answer to her question.

The vicious look on her face as she was repeatedly asking the same question over and over, said it all.

Really dislike her tone of questioning those she is not in agreement with. I believe that news presenters should be impartial and respectful to their guests at all times.

In this case, it looked as though she was auditioning for Andrew Marr's job.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Funny you should say that. Although I have never ever done so before, I was so incensed at the bullying, hectoring and completely biased way in which Naga Munchetty interviewed James Cleverly, Chairman of the Tory Party on the BBC morning news programme last week.

I made a point of firing off an official complaint on their online complaints form. She is meant to be an impartial News Reader, able to ask questions yes, but not act like a Political presenter, refusing to accept answers, repeatedly asking the same question over and over again, even though she has been given a direct answer to her question.

The vicious look on her face as she was repeatedly asking the same question over and over, said it all.

Really dislike her tone of questioning those she is not in agreement with. I believe that news presenters should be impartial and respectful to their guests at all times.

In this case, it looked as though she was auditioning for Andrew Marr's job.
I don't like her continuous sarcasm and smug manner, SSG. She really does think she knows it all, doesn't she? She needs taking down a peg or two, but I do actually agree that the BBC should relax their rules a little.
As I said, the ITV news team are completely different (on GMB anyway). It's a wonderfully fun and vibrant programme whereas the BBC news is terribly outdated with it's staid, dull presenters.
And why do they need two presenters anyway? Have you noticed they only even read a sentence each, to-ing and fro-ing between cameras? What's all that about?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:27 AM

I don't know where they get some of these people, but they often have completely opposing views so I guess that's a good thing?

I suppose news channels have to fill in space between the main news. They all do it. If you watch RT they have people like George Galloway sitting on panels commentating on UK current affairs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Re Munchetty ...I agree with what she said*, but viewers complained and it seems the beeb feel they have to act upon that.

*generally, I don't like their ad libbing in between stories.
The BBC are back-tracking now and trying to lay the blame on the only white person in the mix. This comes after all the black so called celebs and BBC workers (there are a few of them) decided to jump on the bandwagon, led by the very unfunny Lenny Henry I understand. Pathetic! When will these people stop using their colour as a weapon.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The BBC are back-tracking now and trying to lay the blame on the only white person in the mix. This comes after all the black so called celebs and BBC workers (there are a few of them) decided to jump on the bandwagon, led by the very unfunny Lenny Henry I understand. Pathetic! When will these people stop using their colour as a weapon.
Lenny Henry is always right at the forefront of anything approaching criticism of black people.
Hate to say it mate but he's almost a racist himself.
Now where is the uproar when black people get their own music awards, own barbers shops....I thought they fought so hard to get rid of discrimination yet they are segregating themselves now!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 11:45 AM

Lenny Henry is always right at the forefront of anything approaching criticism of black people.
Hate to say it mate but he's almost a racist himself.
Now where is the uproar when black people get their own music awards, own barbers shops....I thought they fought so hard to get rid of discrimination yet they are segregating themselves now!
I agree. I used to just see Lenny Henry as a comedian (unfunny but a comedian never the less) but now I just see him as an activist that jumps on anything to do with race. I mean, it's not as though he hasn't done well for himself compared to most people black or white.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

29-09-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. I used to just see Lenny Henry as a comedian (unfunny but a comedian never the less) but now I just see him as an activist that jumps on anything to do with race. I mean, it's not as though he hasn't done well for himself compared to most people black or white.
I went off him when he started drowning young kids on Tiswas doing the bucket of water song.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top