Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Lib Dems So Transparent

Hello, The Limp Dems and SNP deign to agree to a General Election - A) As long as the EU agree to a three month extension, and B) The General Election be held on 9th December instead of Boris's desired date of 12th December.

Surely Boris would never agree to the LimpDems stunt? It is obvious Jo Swinson has deliberately chosen her date because students will still be in their College towns on that date.

Seems to me that by choosing this date, not only are they hoping for the young vote, but the LibDems are happy to condone the fact that many students were accused during the last GE of voting TWICE, once in their College town, and once at their home address. That says it all with regard to Jo Swinson and her party. Why else would December 9th be so important to her and her party?

What say you?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Re: Lib Dems So Transparent

More or less what I was thinking

This whole Brexit process has been a complete chaos and shambles for years, but I do not blame the decision to Leave, or Boris. I blame Remainers both inside and outside the POSHOC who have done everything they can think of (and still are) to reverse, delay, and otherwise subvert the clear majority decision of the biggest democratic exercise ever held in this country

I call them for what they are - Traitors and Quislings

Besides double voting by students it's obvious that postal voting is abused, and needs sorting out
I would keep it only for those who are clearly unable to get to a Polling Centre in person, such as servicemen & women who are abroad, and the seriously housebound
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 05:14 PM

I thought many of the big Universities were finishing on 12/13 th December.
Elections through time have always been held on Thursday, so far as I understand, and there may be reasons for that .

She's another Scot along with the SNP, they will battle for eternity.

I am concerned about the fact that many pre- Tories are talking about voting for the Brexit Party. That would only split the vote and I think that neither of the two pro-Leave Parties would actually win.

Also concerned about the 'polls'. They cannot be trusted either , as many can give the wrong lead, in an attempt to fool the projected result. At the moment Tories lead Labour by quite a doable % , but is that a true representation ? I actually think Lib Dems WILL do well, with all the Remainers and will over ride a split vote between Tory and Brexit Party.

After all, the Brexit Party would never have enough candidates nationwide... at least I don't think so.

It should be made VERY CLEAR to students and anyone else, that voting twice is ILLEGAL, and the punishment will fit the crime.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 05:23 PM

The SNP could also win back some seats from the Tories now that Ruth Davidson has gone.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Elections through time have always been held on Thursday, so far as I understand, and there may be reasons for that .

PD, as I read your post I remembered reading about why Thursday was polling day, but I had to Google it .....

The reason for choosing Thursday, it is said, was as follows. On Fridays the voters were paid their wages and if they went for a drink in a public house they would be subject to pressure from the Conservative brewing interests, while on Sundays they would be subject to influence by Free Church ministers who were generally Liberal in persuasion. Therefore choose the day furthest from influence by either publicans or Free Church clergymen, namely Thursday. Although these influences are much less significant today, the trend towards Thursday becoming a universal polling day has continued, because Urban District Councils and Rural District Councils all polled on a Saturday until they were abolished under the 1972 Local Government Act. Their successor District Councils poll on a Thursday and the Parish Council polling day was changed from Saturday to Thursday at the same time.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 06:13 PM

No, Poll results cannot be completely trusted

Have you heard the phrase 'Silent Leaver'?

There is a lot of criticism and insults of people who want to leave the EU and express their democratic rights accordingly - such as fruitcake, loony. xenophobe, Nazi, Little Englander, fascist,old fogey, and all the rest of it
So they simply don't say anything, or put themselves down as a Don't Know

However when they are in the privacy of the Polling booth they are able to vote as their true wishes, which partly explains why the Referendum resuult took the MSM & Establishment by surprise
zuludog
N E Lancashire

27-10-2019, 07:10 PM

To get back to the O/P

When Jo Swinson appears on TV, droning on about how wonderful the EU is, and how Brexit is terrible, why do none of the interviewers tackle her about her back-handers from the EU?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
It should be made VERY CLEAR to students and anyone else, that voting twice is ILLEGAL, and the punishment will fit the crime.

But the truth is they turn a blind eye. Almost no students were prosecuted at the last GE despite numerous students bragging on social media that they had voted twice.

Votes are corrupt.

Any suggestion of proper ID is opposed by Corbyn and the Looney Labour camp. It's all very duplicitous.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top