Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Re: Shops where you live

I live two and half miles outside of the city. Unless the weather is really dire I walk into town once per week to buy fresh foods - fruit/veg/meat/fish/cheese - and come home by bus.

Cat food/cleaning products/tinned food/dried food come from Sainsbury's - on a shopping park which is a one mile walk from my home. Also up there - Asda/Boots/Smiths/Debenhams/Pizza Hut/Costa/Aldi/New Look/Poundland/Hobbycraft/Sports Direct/Primark/T K Max.

Half a mile further on - M&S/John Lewis/Next/Laura Ashley.

Plus several car showrooms, carpet shops, mobile phone places.

Besoeker - I walk at 4 mph unless I am in a hurry - then it is 5 mph.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
within 10 min walking distance of our little village which does have a small Tescos shop and the usual estate agents- hairdressers- building society- cafe and chippies- of course a pub and a few other shops.
Lucky sod Realspeed, they shut both of our pubs, one is a slightly suspicious Thi restaurant (with extras) and the other is soon to be a co-op.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I live two and half miles outside of the city. Unless the weather is really dire I walk into town once per week to buy fresh foods - fruit/veg/meat/fish/cheese - and come home by bus.

Cat food/cleaning products/tinned food/dried food come from Sainsbury's - on a shopping park which is a one mile walk from my home. Also up there - Asda/Boots/Smiths/Debenhams/Pizza Hut/Costa/Aldi/New Look/Poundland/Hobbycraft/Sports Direct/Primark/T K Max.

Half a mile further on - M&S/John Lewis/Next/Laura Ashley.

Plus several car showrooms, carpet shops, mobile phone places.

Besoeker - I walk at 4 mph unless I am in a hurry - then it is 5 mph.
My best was 4m20 for the mile. Roger Bannister did better.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
My best was 4m20 for the mile. Roger Bannister did better.
Well done you!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Sainsbury's, petrol station, greengrocers, fishmongers, DIY shop, Bakers, Shoe menders, Four hairdressers, two Indians, two Chinese, a fire station and a Partridge in a Pear tree... all within a five minute walk.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

03-11-2019, 12:08 AM

Ooops - forgot -

Two pubs, two post offices in convenience stores, a Couplands Bakers, a Chipper, and a Chinese Take Away.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:32 AM

My little village - Point Clare- is a third level place. That is, it's a "suburb" of a much larger city - Gosford, which is in turn a regional city 80k north of Sydney which has a population of around 170,000. So I refer to Gosford when I say "my town"..It has almost everything you would want. In the city centre there are shops of all kinds. Everything from quirky niche boutiques and specialty shops to large shopping malls, super markets and everything in between. It has quite a few clubs that cater to music for young and old. Quite a few pubs and restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine. Theatres, cinemas, bookshops etc. Of course the usual services like banks, regional council, police, fire and ambos, electronics, IT etc that you find anywhere. We could easily live here and never need to go anywhere for anything. But we still like to get down to the "real" city every few weeks. It can be maddening to live there full time but it's magic to visit.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
My little village - Point Clare- is a third level place. That is, it's a "suburb" of a much larger city - Gosford, which is in turn a regional city 80k north of Sydney which has a population of around 170,000. So I refer to Gosford when I say "my town"..It has almost everything you would want. In the city centre there are shops of all kinds. Everything from quirky niche boutiques and specialty shops to large shopping malls, super markets and everything in between. It has quite a few clubs that cater to music for young and old. Quite a few pubs and restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine. Theatres, cinemas, bookshops etc. Of course the usual services like banks, regional council, police, fire and ambos, electronics, IT etc that you find anywhere. We could easily live here and never need to go anywhere for anything. But we still like to get down to the "real" city every few weeks. It can be maddening to live there full time but it's magic to visit.
Point Clare looks lovely Keezoy. just been looking on Google Maps. Some nice walks by the water.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Point Clare looks lovely Keezoy. just been looking on Google Maps. Some nice walks by the water.
Yes LD it is a nice place to live. We could have done a lot worse. And for what we got for our 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney in 1997 we bought a 4 bedroom house here. Couldn't do it these days.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Bet you don't have a candlestick maker?
Not that long ago but before my time,all the places that sell coffee now,were craft studios where people actually made things for the house and garden.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top