Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Re: Attempted FRAUD BY INTERNET - A WARNING

I'm sorry you had to go through all that, Gilly.
At least you know now what to do if you get another similar phone call.
We are reasonably safe here with our cordless phone.
Wenn it rings, a computer-generated voice will announce the name
of the person calling, which it takes from the contact list.
If the announcement says 'Anonymus' or spells out the calling phone number, we never answer the call. The caller has the opportunity to leave a message on the answering service.
Crooks or sellers never do, of course, knowing they won't get a callback.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:58 AM

A narrow escape indeed gilly, I have had a few calls on my work mobile, when I answer a very convincing voice says hello, of course you say hello back, and the voice goes on to say their name, and ask how you are, if you say nothing it then goes on to reply to you as if you’ve said something, it’s only then you realise it’s actually a computer generated voice, but sounds very human, something else to be aware of, it’s only an accident company trying it on, saying I’ve been involved in an accident, incidentally, if you answer yes to that question, it will pass you on to a human operator to process your claim, it’s getting very clever and convincing..
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the warning. I have not been 'approached' yet but will be ready when it does.
Thanks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Poor you, Gilly. I'm so sorry for your distress.

I can understand what you mean when you say you thought you thought you were sharper than that, because I got caught once too. Not the same scam as you, but still got caught.
Fortunately I was lucky enough to find a copper that knew his job, and it was recovered for me, but it took a long time.

Keep your chin up gal, try to think of the bad experience as another learning curve and you'll never get caught again.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Most phones have the capacity to add numbers to a blocked list. It might be a useful feature if they also had a means of adding numbers to a scam list, which is then fed back into the system somehow to prevent the number being used until such time as they can prove otherwise.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top