Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Living too long

Just been reading about veteran Harry Patch ( the last fighting tommy ) who died at 111 years .

What struck me was that he outlived not only his compatriots but two wives his children and two other ladies he had become friends with .

How sad is that ?

It reminded me of the Tom Hanks character in The Green Mile

There is a thing as living too long .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Re: Living too long

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Just been reading about veteran Harry Patch ( the last fighting tommy ) who died at 111 years .

What struck me was that he outlived not only his compatriots but two wives his children and two other ladies he had become friends with .

How sad is that ?

It reminded me of the Tom Hanks character in The Green Mile

There is a thing as living too long .
Not only can you outlive the people you love, you can too-long outlive a functioning body and mind.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:07 PM

I beg to differ ladies.....Look after you body and it will provide you with years of efficient service......Now lets not hear any more negative thoughts on this forum...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Obviously all bodies here have done pretty well otherwise we wouldn't have made its so far !

you can live until you are 111 if you want I don't .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Obviously all bodies here have done pretty well otherwise we wouldn't have made its so far !

you can live until you are 111 if you want I don't .
Sorry old pal but you are talking rubbish. When your time comes irrespective of how old or ill you are you will fight like hell to stay alive.
Harry Patch may have been at the end of his life and I expect he knew it but I will bet my last penny he did not want to go.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Sorry old pal but you are talking rubbish. When your time comes irrespective of how old or ill you are you will fight like hell to stay alive.
Harry Patch may have been at the end of his life and I expect he knew it but I will bet my last penny he did not want to go.
Spot on Ben....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-11-2019, 06:33 PM

That may be true but I don’t think it’s the same for everyone.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:33 PM

Years ago, I felt that I would be more than happy to "sign off" after my three score and twenty. Now, at 68 years of age I would like to spend as much time as possible with my wee granddaughter - as long as I am not a burden to those around me, that is.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:34 PM

I guess if you are really ill, you want to go. I know my late OH did. He had no life at all the last year or so towards the end, though at that time we had no idea it was terminal. Big shock! I think he knew though & never said.
I want to go quickly, in my sleep preferably, not suffering, unable to even walk a few steps. I don't care how old I am at that time.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-11-2019, 06:37 PM

So do I Tiff .

People do sometimes give up and lose the will to live .

https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...es-giveupitis/

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top