Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Re: The flooding is a disgrace

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I understand that the EU don't allow dredging of rivers. That was the issue over the Somerset floods a few years ago.

In this instance, I do wonder why they have been allowed to build a new estate at Fishlake nab, still hoping to sell the properties Surely the clue is in the word 'fishlake ' ?

There will always be complaints about Governments but whilst Corbyn and Swinson were winding people up , the Government were having COBRA meetings to see what was to be done and sandbags wouldn't have been any use at all after the initial flooding, until the water had subsided anyway, to prevent further flooding.
Where were the council ?
You are absolutely right Puddle Duck (very apt avatar by the way) I have lived here for all of my 69 years. I heard someone on the news say that it hasn't flooded in Fishlake for over 100 years, and that's not true. At the school I attended everyone walked or cycled to school except the farm boys from the other side of the river Don, they were bussed into school. There were about half a dozen of them and they all came from farms in Fishlake, Sykehouse and Wormley Hill.

Occasionally at this time of year they would be absent due to flooding or deep snow on Fishlake Nab and the bus was unable to get through. Going further back, My Dad told me stories of the times when he fished and swam in the great lake in Fishlake...I don't know what happened to the lake because it's not there now...

There has always been a church, a couple of pubs, a Windmill and several farms in Fishlake, I believe it goes back to the 13th century, but more recently (last 50 years) it has become a desirable place to live, and gradually with the demise of farming there have been many new houses and barn conversions constructed, it's only been quite recently that sewers have been installed under the roads (amazing what the affluent can achieve) and I would suspect that planning permission has been achieved because many important people live there, councilors included...
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Nice to hear you memories, OGF. Just shows how distorted some reviews can be to accommodate the issue of the moment .

Have you seen this.. going back to 2011 ?

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/doncatchment/work/projects
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 04:40 PM

I have lost count of how many times I have seen programmes on television about houses on new estates having problems with drainage of their gardens. They are like swamps and the developers then have to take measures to remedy this. The cause is often that the estates are built on flood plains, areas where if any nearby streams or rivers flood the overflow goes to these flood plains, hence the name.

No doubt land of this type is less expensive than usual, regular building land so more profit for the developer and definitely more problems for the completely unaware house purchaser!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Whilst not all waterways can be dredged, a great many did used to be routinely dredged and properly managed and cared for by our farmers and landowners. They had done it happily for 100s of years.

The EU then introduced the Waterways Framework Directive which imposed the usual shed load of red tape rules and regulations and self appointed overseeing bodies whose primary tenet was that waterways should be left in as much a natural state as possible.

Whilst that didn't specifically outlaw dredging its net result was that dredging became far more difficult and expensive due to red tape and rules about what kind of waste was dredged and how it was to be collected, moved and deposited elesewhere.

The net result is that the EU WFD has simply exacerbated the problems and helped lead to the situation we have today.

There are of course other problems. Planning permission should never have been granted to build houses on flood plains, that is simply council greed and profiteering for which we will all pay the price in higher insurance premiums.

If we were to be allowed to leave the EU then we could restore common sense and properly sort out these issues but sadly we will not be permitted to Leave.

Boris is hell bent on delivering BRINO, a fudge BrExit which doesn't actually see us leave at all.

big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2019, 06:29 PM

We have been asked to plant millions of trees to combat global warming but please remember do not plant them on land liable to flooding as sooner or later someone will want build houses there.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
Why is it that the Government can find money to bale out the bankers when they make a complete arse of their business and then somehow find money for a fast train from Birmingham to London.
But when the poor folks who are flooded their holms ruined their business destroyed and not a peep from the powers in Government. The money being used to help the Bankers and build a faster train is Taxpayers money. I would rather see my money put to use helping find ways to stop the flooding and helping the folk who have to fight with insurance companies
to rebuild their lives
The government didn't bail out the banks with money, they supported the banks with treasury guarantees.

As for the flooding as a result of rivers overflowing, a whole lot of that has resulted from having to abide with EU legislation concerning wildlife protection that severely constrains dredging.

The there's building on flood plains because of the need to find millions of new homes because of unrestricted immigration and constraints on what we can do with illegals. That has resulted in building where building should never have taken place.

HS2 is a much needed investment in national infrastructure. Nowt wrong with that and there's jt much more can be done to areas under water than is being done.

BTW. Never forget that the actions of Brown the Clown resulted in the contagion of the consequences of the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act in the US inevitable because of the emasculation of the BoE.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
We have been asked to plant millions of trees to combat global warming but please remember do not plant them on land liable to flooding as sooner or later someone will want build houses there.
Tree houses? Kill two birds with one stone - housing built above flood plains and trees reducing CO2. Win, win situation.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The government didn't bail out the banks with money, they supported the banks with treasury guarantees.

As for the flooding as a result of rivers overflowing, a whole lot of that has resulted from having to abide with EU legislation concerning wildlife protection that severely constrains dredging.

The there's building on flood plains because of the need to find millions of new homes because of unrestricted immigration and constraints on what we can do with illegals. That has resulted in building where building should never have taken place.

HS2 is a much needed investment in national infrastructure. Nowt wrong with that and there's jt much more can be done to areas under water than is being done.

BTW. Never forget that the actions of Brown the Clown resulted in the contagion of the consequences of the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act in the US inevitable because of the emasculation of the BoE.
it was taxpayers that baled the bankers treasury guarantee
and where does the treasury money come
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by pathfinder ->
it was taxpayers that baled the bankers treasury guarantee
and where does the treasury money come
It doesn't work that way. The treasury provided billions of pounds in guarantees which was in effect collateral to support the banks which could and would be drawn down if there was a run on the banks assets.

In effect we had cosigned the responsibility the banks had taken on. In the event the banks are successfully trading their way out of the exposure.

And so the was no money - but there could have been. Brown not only created the mess, he also hung us on the hook while it was / is being resolved.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It doesn't work that way. The treasury provided billions of pounds in guarantees which was in effect collateral to support the banks which could and would be drawn down if there was a run on the banks assets.

In effect we had cosigned the responsibility the banks had taken on. In the event the banks are successfully trading their way out of the exposure.

And so the was no money - but there could have been. Brown not only created the mess, he also hung us on the hook while it was / is being resolved.
Not surprising the man was a clown. I am sorry if I got it wrong
I was certain it was in the media at the time that the taxpayers would be fishing the Bankers out

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top