Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Any thoughts on the Dilnott Commission Report

The findings were made public today.....
http://www.dilnotcommission.dh.gov.u...ission-report/

The sad fact is there are (we are told) too many elderly people in this country for our ailing economy to support.
As I live alone I don't have a problem with selling my home to fund my care should I need to go into a nursing home.
This would be a last resort though, I would prefer to live in a one room hovel and to have my independence than to live in any kind of communal accommodation.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Re: Any thoughts on the Dilnott Commission Report

Unfortunately Meg, I am one of the morons that would cut some of the foreign aid, to fund a system that looked after us properly when our steps falter....as a country we should be ashamed of a system where other nation's peoples are more important than our own.
Did any of us actually vote for this?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 07:19 PM

If I become infirmed and have to go in a home why if I have savings and a house should any one else pay for my care.

I was brought up to pay my way, just cause I am an old sod should not make any differance if I have assets.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
If I become infirmed and have to go in a home why if I have savings and a house should any one else pay for my care.

I was brought up to pay my way, just cause I am an old sod should not make any differance if I have assets.

But what about if you have a wife / husband living in the House ?

Should they be made homeless to pay for your care/ treatment ?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
But what about if you have a wife / husband living in the House ?

Should they be made homeless to pay for your care/ treatment ?

If you have a wife or husband it does not apply.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 08:24 PM

In the event of needing nursing home care, maybe the solution is for people to take out an insurance plan which will pay out a one off sum to cover the £35,000 self funded cost (or what ever amount is decided).
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 08:43 PM

The same thing is happening over here, people are living longer and they want to increase the retirement age.
It seems now we are to be penalised for living longer, surely that was the whole point of a clean modern health service-living longer. for years they were telling us to give up this and don't eat that, smoking will take 10 years off your life etc., (maybe if they had not introduced the smoking ban the problem would have solved itself). the message is clear to me, just die and do your Country a favour.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2011, 10:36 PM

If I have anything to do with it I will not go into a home. The doctors surgery' are full of old people living on pills for this and pills for that.I live in a Park for the over 55s and they are boasting about how many times they see the doctor , how many pills they take etc.Its ridiculous.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
If you have a wife or husband it does not apply.
Galty you are so wrong matey, I watched my elderly Mother struggle to look after and nurse my Father in the last few weeks of his life - it was too much for her and she had to concede defeat and let my Father go to hospital where he died some weeks later.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2011, 12:13 PM

I live alone & will try my damnedest to only leave here in a box. I have no intention of inflicting myself on my family. My 91 year old neighbour who felt the same, has just gone into a "retirement home." Because she has little or no savings & her flat is owned by her son she pays nothing. I have visited her & it's OK but I'd hate it!! I felt, before she went in there, that the social services were trying to keep her at home - because of the cost.

Plantman, I agree with foreign aid. These people are not more important than us but their lives are as important as ours. I'd hate to think this country could stand aside & watch others starve. I know this country has people on the 'bread line' but the few that I know can afford cigarettes and alcohol. One, who I have helped because she has a three year old, smokes £35 per week & was drinking (she says she's stopped) three bottles of cheap wine per night.

Sorry to go off topic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top