Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 10:05 PM

Re: Number Plate Cloning - Perfect Crime?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, but the criminals would just do the same with another one!

What I meant was, I can't see an easy answer to preventing such a crime. Obviously, I wouldn't buy a second-hand car without checking its identity - VIN, for example.
Yes, true enough but it's getting to where everything and anything we, the ordinary person, touches is subject to some rip-off, con-trick or scam in some way or other.

I really do despair at how often this is happening and how it's appearing to be getting worse.

Edited to add:

Lots of methods have been tried to stop this 'cloning', including almost licensing the companies who make registration plates. That obviously is not working.

I wonder if the answer lies in doing what either America or Australia does (can't remember which country) but they have a system where the registration plates, are owned by the driver covering insurance and VED (road tax). These go from car to car as the person changes their vehicle.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes, true enough but it's getting to where everything and anything we, the ordinary person, touches is subject to some rip-off, con-trick or scam in some way or other.

I really do despair at how often this is happening and how it's appearing to be getting worse.
True, but crime in general is getting worse.
As I've said numerous times, until we 'make the punishment fit the crime' (to quote Gilbert & Sullivan) there will be no improvement!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 10:32 PM

True, but crime in general is getting worse.
As I've said numerous times, until we 'make the punishment fit the crime' (to quote Gilbert & Sullivan) there will be no improvement!
Apologies JBR, I added to my post. However, I can only agree with what you write about suitable punishment. Something needs to be done about the level of crime, scams and all the other negative behaviours that are being put upon people living in this country. If not then I really do despair at what it might be like in 10 or 20 years time!
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 10:57 PM

Yes, but the criminals would just do the same with another one!

What I meant was, I can't see an easy answer to preventing such a crime. Obviously, I wouldn't buy a second-hand car without checking its identity - VIN, for example.
There is one step that would cut down the amount of tickets being wrongfully attributed to the innocent car owner.

When wardens issue a ticket the take photos to prove no ticket was on show or that the car was illegally parked, they could take a photo of the chassis/vin number if its a make/model that has it on the dashboard at the base of the windscreen.

This would prove the car didn't match the plates.
Baz46

20-03-2021, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->
There is one step that would cut down the amount of tickets being wrongfully attributed to the innocent car owner.

When wardens issue a ticket the take photos to prove no ticket was on show or that the car was illegally parked, they could take a photo of the chassis/vin number if its a make/model that has it on the dashboard at the base of the windscreen.

Good idea, that would work but with parking tickets only though. All other fines/tickets, London Congestion Charge, speeding tickets etc. would still be issued in the usual way by checking who is the registered owner of the vehicle which is done by checking with the DVLA.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:13 PM

Apologies JBR, I added to my post. However, I can only agree with what you write about suitable punishment. Something needs to be done about the level of crime, scams and all the other negative behaviours that are being put upon people living in this country. If not then I really do despair at what it might be like in 10 or 20 years time!
"I wonder if the answer lies in doing what either America or Australia does (can't remember which country) but they have a system where the registration plates, are owned by the driver covering insurance and VED (road tax). These go from car to car as the person changes their vehicle."

Yes, I could certainly live with this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-03-2021, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by reg ->

I agree, and that wouldn't require much additional work, would it?
reg
Manchester
reg is male  reg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:16 PM

Good idea, that would work but with parking tickets only though. All other fines/tickets, London Congestion Charge, speeding tickets etc. would still be issued in the usual way by checking who is the registered owner of the vehicle which is done by checking with the DVLA.
I know it won't help in most circumstances but it's the only suggestion I have apart from all number plates are made by companies contracted to DVLA and carrying some form of tamper proof marking(?).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2021, 11:39 PM

The best protection against cloning is to have really stupid number plates

Not that cloning is an issue here because the state governments make and issue the number plates (those in the pic are WA plates). The police have regular campaigns where they replace the screws that hold them on with tamper proof ones so the plates can not be stolen.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	170506 076 Kalbarri Caravan Park Number Plates.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	15028  
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2021, 08:38 AM

I've told this story here before so sorry if you've already read it but its relevant

A pal of mine has a silver BMW he was sat having coffee in a Morrisons cafe....looked out of the window and there was his car exact same make model and colour same number and everything but not where he left it...he went to check his car was where he parked...it was so the other was a clone he rang the police but the clone was gone by the time they arrived.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top