Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 03:53 PM

Re: British firm cracks electric car motor conundrum

Originally Posted by percy vere ->
hooray for uk innovation However, as soon as a patent is awarded, it opens up the field for competitors to start developing their own versions so, don't get too upset if you start to see other players in this field. One can only hope that none of the vehicle majors buys out the patents and then sits on them effectively squashing this invention.

As for methane power: When you burn methane the resulting exhaust gases are water vapour, carbon dioxide and, possibly, carbon monoxide plus plenty of other molecular variations of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Dung Beetle VW
Affectionately known as the “Dung Beetle”, this 1966 VW might look like a rusted, old, junk yard carcass but hidden underneath the hood is a heavily modified, turbocharged 2.3L motor that is more than capable of taking on any competition. Dung Beetle's motor is a 2332cc turbocharged, air cooled flat four.
That was the car I saw in the documentary Besoeker. I reckon running on Methane is a better bet than electric vehicles. Have you seen the mess they make while sourcing lithium.
And with hydrogen you have to source the ingredients and use energy to to make the stuff. Whereas Methane is a naturally occurring gas, and is provided from decomposing matter processed in a anaerobic digester.

https://www.epa.gov/agstar/how-does-...digestion-work

The components used in a digester are produced anyway, and have been wasted in the past. And by using the Methane in converted engines will save an awful lot of scrap. And producing enough electricity to power all those electric vehicles, not to mention the extra installations required for the increase in electricity use is just counter productive. Isn't that a good thing....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
That was the car I saw in the documentary Besoeker. I reckon running on Methane is a better bet than electric vehicles. Have you seen the mess they make while sourcing lithium.
And with hydrogen you have to source the ingredients and use energy to to make the stuff. Whereas Methane is a naturally occurring gas, and is provided from decomposing matter usually extracted from a anaerobic digester.

I was unaware of the extents of usefulness of biogas and the possibility of it being produced here, in this country, by our own people and our own waste!

We have always been reliant on foreign supplies for our energy: gas, electricity, oil, etc.

If this can be invested in and made to work efficiently, it could be the holy grail of our future energy needs.

It almost sounds too good to be true...

oh, hang on! Could there be objections from the Green lobby for some reason?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was unaware of the extents of usefulness of biogas and the possibility of it being produced here, in this country, by our own people and our own waste!

We have always been reliant on foreign supplies for our energy: gas, electricity, oil, etc.

If this can be invested in and made to work efficiently, it could be the holy grail of our future energy needs.

It almost sounds too good to be true...

oh, hang on! Could there be objections from the Green lobby for some reason?
I think it's a brilliant idea JB, and there are lots of scientists working on it even as we speak. If we are serious about saving the planets resources and not just making some rich blokes even richer, it needs to be considered.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Actually has been achieved. I can recall this from student days but more recently there was the VW's 'dung' Beetle - about ten years ago.
And wasn't there a bus somewhere converted to run from methane collected from the town sewage works? Comically, it ran on the Number 2 route - someone at the local council must have had a sense of humour.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-03-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
And wasn't there a bus somewhere converted to run from methane collected from the town sewage works? Comically, it ran on the Number 2 route - someone at the local council must have had a sense of humour.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And with hydrogen you have to source the ingredients and use energy to to make the stuff. Whereas Methane is a naturally occurring gas, and is provided from decomposing matter processed in a anaerobic digester.

The components used in a digester are produced anyway, and have been wasted in the past. And by using the Methane in converted engines will save an awful lot of scrap. And producing enough electricity to power all those electric vehicles, not to mention the extra installations required for the increase in electricity use is just counter productive. Isn't that a good thing....
A conversion to burn methane or LPG will cost around £1200 - 1500 + VAT for most cars.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Was that the Boris U bendy bus?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2021, 05:03 PM

Without doubt the biggest concern for motorists is the charging and the amount of miles they can travel on a single charge (not a problem for the over seventies who will be restricted to driving to the local doctors and back).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-03-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
A conversion to burn methane or LPG will cost around £1200 - 1500 + VAT for most cars.
I assume that would convert the engine and carburettor, etc., but what about the storage tank? I assume that would have to be quite different to store gas under pressure.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top