Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 11:36 AM

Re: The other side of the 'push' for electric cars

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/batteries

Within the link above is another to the costs of running an electric car, notable is that EDF mention the 'smart meter' in conjunction with varying tariffs, showing it's possible to control the cost of running an electric car by tinkering with tariffs:

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/costs
I should be very surprised to learn that no-one has considered the future regarding electricity costs.

When (or IF) electric cars do become commonplace, surely it must be obvious that electricity supply companies will all rush to increase their tariffs!

They are suggesting at present that electric cars will be much cheaper to run than petrol/diesel cars, but just wait until they have cornered the market!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have yet to see the cost of replacing an all electric car battery.

What are they not telling us? I recon it will be in the hundreds of pounds at least if not thousands ,judging a normal car battery can be from £80 upwards.
link

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan...t-to-cost-4920

£4920 for a small car like a Nissan leaf!!!!!! what would a larger car cost
even with a £1000 cash back for the old one think of how many miles £4000 of a petrol car will go

This is why car manufactures are reluctant to pass this vital information on to the custome
rs

Wow. That is a shocking prices. No wonder that is never mentioned in the adverts!

Nice little earner for criminals too - as well as nicking catalyctic converters, they will be nicking batteries too.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 01:16 PM

I don't have one, but there are some pretty clean & efficient cars on the road now, called Hybrid, I think. Full electric might be good for things like local deliveries: stop/start inner city work.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:37 PM

And just look what happens to the places they get the Lithium from, and we haven't really started yet.....

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:50 PM

Time to put my chemistry teacher's hat on.

Lithium is nasty, very nasty, and dangerous in its metallic elemental form. It is very difficult to recycle but that's not to say recycling methods won't be developed in the future that improve on this.

https://www.lenntech.com/periodic/elements/li.htm

Whatever happened to that guy who patented another, more efficient, cleaner, cheaper, easily recyclable battery with a longer range that could be bought for just a few ££s at the supermarket?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And just look what happens to the places they get the Lithium from, and we haven't really started yet.....

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact
Yes indeed. I should be given a zero rating of road tax due to the fact that I use a petrol-powered car!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:03 PM

Hi

I believe that we are having an impact on Climate Change.

I can do my bit, I just drive my diesel less.

This is not rocket science..

As a Northerner with an inoperable heart condition, saving money is good for me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I believe that we are having an impact on Climate Change.

I can do my bit, I just drive my diesel less.

This is not rocket science..

As a Northerner with an inoperable heart condition, saving money is good for me.
Nonsense Swim....
There are a lot of people going to look very stupid when after taking all the measures we can possibly take; floods, bushfires, tornadoes, and rising sea levels will continue unabated....
Now if they were truthful and told us that Oil is running low......After all, we've been taking it out of the ground for the last few hundred years, and use increases every year......It is not infinite! It has to run out sooner or later...
Quote:

"The world will run out of oil in 2030, and other fossil fuels in 2050." In the 1950s, a geologist named M. King Hubbert looked at oil production data from all of the major oil-producing countries in the world (at that time).

2030 Now there's a coincidence.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-04-2021, 04:43 PM

I think the link you supplied Baz was a little on the optimistic side.....

According to this, the power consumption for an average sized Electric Vehicle would be the equivalent of boiling three electric kettles continuously throughout the night....

Or you could charge it on level one, in which case it would take 24 hours for a full charge...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-04-2021, 05:05 PM

What's happened to the wind?
Here is where our electricity came from this month. Wind is represented by the light blue, Combined Coal and Gas is represented by the orange....If it hadn't been for Drax, we would have been stuffed....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top