Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 05:39 PM

Re: Help for speeding.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Cruise Control, I have it on just about all the time. Best invention ever.
Me too. I use it wherever possible, it is especially useful driving through the average speed camera zones on motorways and dual carriageways.

Also the speed inhibitor could be used but I am not a fan of this as sometimes we need to accelerate out of trouble.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
When I'm driving I just don't think about speed. I drive at what seems safe & comfortable for me.

I know I need to start thinking about it - hence the appeal for a helpful gadget that will remind me to slow down...

It's possible to get to know the approximate speed of the car just by the sound of the engine but of course this isn't good enough for the authorities because it doesn't bring the money in.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I posted a gadget for you.
Thank you - yes a 'Road Angel'

One of my friends on face book has one of those. I think you have to subscribe to it though don't you?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:22 PM

I wish I had cruise control - is it possible to have it fitted?

I went out with my daughter yesterday in her new Mini Cooper. She was using the cruise control - also it's automatic so she sat there with her feet doing nothing at all. It fascinated me.

A different way of driving eh?
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:54 PM

most modern cars have voice warnings that you are exceeding the speed limit or are straddling a lane, or a red light to say you are over the speed limit, but given the age of people on this forum its basics of good driving practice. There are road signs and road markings to tell you what speed limit you are in, and if you follow the driving manual, or what you passed your test on, at least every 10 seconds you should be checking the road ahead, your mirrors and instruments.....simples!!!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 06:57 PM

If a driver starts to persistently or routinely not pay attention to what they are doing whilst driving, the solution is not in finding gadgets that allow them to continue driving, the solution is for the driver to cease driving.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 07:15 PM

I think there is a difference between accidentally exceeding the speed limit and intentionally speeding.

It is very easy to slip over the speed limit, especially when temporary speed limits appear unexpectedly. I know there's no excuse for it, but when you are fined for driving at 36 mph (as someone above mentioned) in a 30 mph zone, it isn't exactly dangerous.

On the other hand, it is not infrequent to see boy racers speeding down our road (30 mph limit) where the only restriction is a nice, illuminating sign saying "slow down". I've seen them doing about 70 mph there.
Someone was badly injured there not too long ago, yet despite requests the council refuses to install a speed camera at the usual location where such speeding occurs.

I can't help but think that the fines for my former example of speeding (6 mph over the limit) is there simply to raise money!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

14-05-2021, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think there is a difference between accidentally exceeding the speed limit and intentionally speeding.

It is very easy to slip over the speed limit, especially when temporary speed limits appear unexpectedly. I know there's no excuse for it, but when you are fined for driving at 36 mph (as someone above mentioned) in a 30 mph zone, it isn't exactly dangerous.

On the other hand, it is not infrequent to see boy racers speeding down our road (30 mph limit) where the only restriction is a nice, illuminating sign saying "slow down". I've seen them doing about 70 mph there.
Someone was badly injured there not too long ago, yet despite requests the council refuses to install a speed camera at the usual location where such speeding occurs.

I can't help but think that the fines for my former example of speeding (6 mph over the limit) is there simply to raise money!
Yep!..
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I was just accelerating off a roundabout on the B road out of town, I could have been scammed, I don't know.

I can tell you about some notorious money grabbing situations here in London. They must make £10K's everyday, even from people that are familiar with the road. For example: turning right at box junctions where you can't see if your exit is clear or not; you take your chances or get nowhere causing gridlock.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2021, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thank you - yes a 'Road Angel'

One of my friends on face book has one of those. I think you have to subscribe to it though don't you?
Just checked and it looks as if you do. Never had to when I got mine. I suspect the subcriptions are to allow updates as new speed cameras are added to our roads.

Again i am not sure best ask them but if you bought their product it will still work on speed cameras up to the date of purchase

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top