Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 07:13 PM

Re: Fuel prices increasing + insurance costs

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Baz you wrote £134.9 per litre instead of £1.349 that would be over seven thousand pounds for a 55 litre tankful

95 octane petrol is about £1.30 a litre here

Oh and by the way our VAT is a hefty 25%
Ooops, sorry about that, maths never was my strong point but I am sure that's how our prices are displayed. I will double check next time I pass that petrol garage, just to be sure. It's £1 and 34.9 pence so perhaps to be correct it should be £1.34.9, however, what's a full stop between OFF members anyway?

Still very odd though as my calculator gives a price of £74.195 to fill a 55 litre tank at £134.9 per litre. Help! Is anyone on here any good at maths?

Your petrol is about the same as here and VAT at 25% is higher than our's which is 20%.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In the UK we pay a fuel tax which is set by the Government (usually not increased by the Chancellor in his annual budget) + VAT on top so, we are doubly taxed on every litre of fuel we buy.
In fact we are treble taxed on every litre of fuel we buy. That payment made for fuel, if from our salary, has already been taxed once as PAYE. When we buy anything that is subject to VAT that is another tax on top of PAYE so most purchases are double taxed anyway.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This next comment will bring tears to your eyes OGF! Diesel is the same fuel as domestic heating oil, today's price for that per litre is 49p and includes 5% tax. How does that compare to what I have just paid for diesel at £134.9 per litre!

Everything over the 49p is TAX, we are taxed out of existence in this country, don't forget what is received by way of salary has already been taxed once!

I am in the next county to you Mups so prices will be about the same. From what I read the only way fuel prices will go in the future is upwards. My mileage, now I am not working is low, thank goodness. Prior to that it used to be about 1,200 miles a month so quite a cost just to get to work and lead my life.

That's half the price I've just paid for diesel! I always knew it was a big mistake not to have given it a try in Australia for three years under the £10 pom scheme 50 years' ago! I've regretted not doing that ever since! Half price motoring, lots of sunshine and a lifestyle where people work to live rather than as it now is here, live to work or go under!
Sorry for my lack of response Baz, but for some reason I'm not getting notified by email of the posts I've posted in....
Baz46

30-06-2021, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry for my lack of response Baz, but for some reason I'm not getting notified by email of the posts I've posted in....
No problem OGF, I don't use that facility myself anyway.
No idea why not but I just never have.
Baz46

03-07-2021, 08:32 PM

It would appear that Sky news has reported the increased fuel price figures,
as provided by the RAC!

"Petrol is at its highest price for nearly eight years after eight consecutive months of increases at the pumps, figures from the RAC show.

The motoring organisation predicted escalating fuel bills, driven by the rising cost of oil, could speed up the switchover to electric cars.

According to RAC data, a litre of unleaded rose by 2.7p in June from 129.52p to 132.19p - its most expensive since October 2013 when it stood at 132.28p.

At the same time diesel went up 2.5p over the month from 131.79p to 134.32p taking it to its highest price in two years."

https://news.sky.com/story/petrol-hi...pumps-12347782

My bold as above: The cynic in me makes me wonder how much these price increases are contrived to achieve exactly that?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This next comment will bring tears to your eyes OGF! Diesel is the same fuel as domestic heating oil, today's price for that per litre is 49p and includes 5% tax. How does that compare to what I have just paid for diesel at £134.9 per litre!
Why don't people just put heating oil in their car if it is so much cheaper? Even better you get it delivered to your house. Many years ago people did that here but oil heating has largely gone out of favour.

When I bought this house it had a ruddy great tank on the side which I gave away but often I wished I had saved it.
Baz46

03-07-2021, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why don't people just put heating oil in their car if it is so much cheaper? Even better you get it delivered to your house. Many years ago people did that here but oil heating has largely gone out of favour.

When I bought this house it had a ruddy great tank on the side which I gave away but often I wished I had saved it.
They don't probably as it's highly illegal, I've also been told that cars don't run quite as well on it. I've never checked but it could also be coloured red so as to identify it as heating oil.

Agricultural vehicles are run on what is called 'red diesel', tax on that is less than on ordinary diesel. If another vehicle which is not either the designated, registered vehicle or not a vehicle associated with agricultural use, is found to be using 'red diesel' it's an offence. The offence is against HMRC I think it is, or it might be Customs and Excise not sure which, for avoiding fuel tax.

In Ireland spot checks are carried out at the roadside. If someone is found to be illegally using 'red diesel' the outstanding tax is calculated and needs to be paid there and then or the vehicle is seized.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top