Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:34 AM

Forming Attachments

Two flies have been staying with me for the last three days. They arrived within a couple of hours of each other, but I think that was coincidental rather than intentional. They initially did some exploring, but after satisfying their curiosity, the interest of both turned mainly to the windows. I took this as a sign of their desire to leave, so, also having a desire for them to leave, I did what I could to help them. Flies are stubbornly independent creatures though, and tend not to accept help, and would much rather do things for themselves, regardless of how far beyond them that might be. This pair were typical flies.

When not hanging out on the windows, the flies devoted most of their time to getting on my nerves. Just the usual stuff: Walking round the rims of cups, flying in tight circles round my head, and landing on my arm or forehead when I was trying to have a nap, etc. If only their intuition for knowing exactly when you are at the point of dropping off were matched by their instinct for finding the gap round an open window.

For three days I have put up with this, then, this morning, I found one of them dead on the windowsill. The other one -I won’t say its companion, as they never really had anything to do with one another- is still going strong, but so was the dead one only a few hours before I found its lifeless body. I expect the death toll to have doubled by the end of the day.

There has been a transition in my attitude towards the flies over the last three days. My initial feelings of being invaded gradually turned to acceptance, followed by a sense of comfortable coexistence. Then I made the mistake of letting my feelings about the flies turn to fondness. Now I have lost one of the objects of my affection, and soon, I strongly fear, will find myself lamenting the loss of both.

Unlike, say, cats and dogs, flies are so very, very here today and gone tomorrow.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:39 AM

Re: Forming Attachments

Maybe if you had fed them properly, that fly might have lasted a bit longer! Honestly, fly abuse at its finest....feed the other one immediately before it starts chewing on its friend.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Maybe if you had fed them properly, that fly might have lasted a bit longer! Honestly, fly abuse at its finest....feed the other one immediately before it starts chewing on its friend.
What do you suggest I feed it, Pixie.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
What do you suggest I feed it, Pixie.
Oh I dunno....I'm sure you'll think of something What do flies down your way eat, usually? The northern and southern diets do differ y'see....
Harbal
South Yorkshire

30-06-2021, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh I dunno....I'm sure you'll think of something What do flies down your way eat, usually? The northern and southern diets do differ y'see....
My research tells me that most flies like to feed on "decaying filth", but I cleared my fridge out only last week, and the remaining filth hasn't started to decay yet. Another option could be nectar, but I'm not sure how one gets a flower to relinquish its bounty.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 11:41 AM

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 11:46 AM

wont work!
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
wont work!
Eh? If you mean the video it worked perfectly Tiff - I'm still giggling
Harbal
South Yorkshire

30-06-2021, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Eh? If you mean the video it worked perfectly Tiff - I'm still giggling
It worked for me, too, but I'm grinning more than giggling.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->

tiffany

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top