Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 05:47 PM

Right to repair rules come into force …

Good news for all those who wish to repair items rather than have to buy new, especially white goods that pack up after a few years.

"Right to repair rules will extend lifespan of products, government says"

"Products such as washing machines, TVs and fridges should become easier to repair and cheaper to run under new rules coming into force.

Manufacturers are now legally required to make spare parts available to people buying electrical appliances.

The aim of the new rules is to extend the lifespan of products by up to 10 years and benefit the environment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57665593
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:01 PM

Re: Right to repair rules come into force …

Quite right too. Bought an angle grinder which ran well for about 5 years. Eventually, the carbon brushes needed replacing but, obviously, the model was no longer in production and spares no longer available.

So, I had to buy an oversize pair of brushes and borrow an angle grinder to grind them down to size.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:02 PM

That’s great news, but I hope they don’t make the parts or call outs really expensive so it’s uneconomical to repair them anyway..
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Good news for all those who wish to repair items rather than have to buy new, especially white goods that pack up after a few years.

"Right to repair rules will extend lifespan of products, government says"

"Products such as washing machines, TVs and fridges should become easier to repair and cheaper to run under new rules coming into force.

Manufacturers are now legally required to make spare parts available to people buying electrical appliances.

The aim of the new rules is to extend the lifespan of products by up to 10 years and benefit the environment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57665593
That's an excellent idea.

Most appliances have one or two years' guarantee. After that, you're on your own. Whether spare parts are available from the manufacturer after that time is anybody's guess.

Presumably, the new rules will make the manufacturers obliged to make spare parts for their appliances - at reasonable cost - for a specified period, say ten years going by the above.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Quite right too. Bought an angle grinder which ran well for about 5 years. Eventually, the carbon brushes needed replacing but, obviously, the model was no longer in production and spares no longer available.

So, I had to buy an oversize pair of brushes and borrow an angle grinder to grind them down to size.
I have done similar. One was a washing machine. The drum got a split in it. I repaired it with tiny brass screws. And several times I replaced the carbon brushes. Of course, I had to sand them to fit. The alternative was a replacement motor at the repair shop.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's an excellent idea.

Most appliances have one or two years' guarantee. After that, you're on your own. Whether spare parts are available from the manufacturer after that time is anybody's guess.

Presumably, the new rules will make the manufacturers obliged to make spare parts for their appliances - at reasonable cost - for a specified period, say ten years going by the above.
Often that happens just outside the warranty period, S*d's Law springs to mind. Now though it's also being said that the new regulations should also make items easier to repair as manufacturers will stop the practise of making things so difficult to take apart. I wonder though?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I have done similar. One was a washing machine. The drum got a split in it. I repaired it with tiny brass screws. And several times I replaced the carbon brushes. Of course, I had to sand them to fit. The alternative was a replacement motor at the repair shop.
Indeed. Once fixed the bearings of an old washer drier by replacing the ball bearings in it.

Cost of ex-stock bearing about £150

Cost of ball bearings - circa £3

Wish manufacturers would stop making parts out of nylon, which is really hard/nigh on impossible to glue back together.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 07:14 PM

Bring back the mangle.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Call me old fashioned But I understood manufactures had to stock parts for items no longer in production for 10 years
Baz46

01-07-2021, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Call me old fashioned But I understood manufactures had to stock parts for items no longer in production for 10 years
That 10 years is for cars I believe, not sure about other manufactured items like washing machines, 'fridges etc. I used to repair my own washing machines, there was a stockist of those spares in a business park locally. The only thing I couldn't do was to replace the main bearings when they went. I couldn't figure out how to get the drum out to get to the bearings. Easy when I saw the engineer do it, but that's like everything, easy when you know how! However, that was the only time I had anyone in to repair the washing machine as always I did it myself!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top