Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:36 AM

Re: How many 'smart' devices in your home?

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
It never even occurred to me to regard my printer as a smart device!
Me neither Pixie and my printer isn't particularly smart, it sends strange messages and coughs and shakes before deciding if it is going to print .
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How can anybody not like 'Led Zeppelin' Bruce?...
And even if they don't, how dare they admit it?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Me neither Pixie and my printer isn't particularly smart, it sends strange messages and coughs and shakes before deciding if it is going to print .
Haha! Mine does that too, Meg, and then when it decides it will print, it "sings" to pass the time while its chugging out the paper. All very bizarre!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:42 AM

Haha! Mine does that too, Meg, and then when it decides it will print, it "sings" to pass the time while its chugging out the paper. All very bizarre!
I have got a singer too Pixie I feel like giving the smug thing a kick for singing after all that coughing and sputtering..
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:58 AM

It never even occurred to me to regard my printer as a smart device!
Me neither but on thinking about it, my printer communicates with HP about ink levels, so I think that makes is as much a smart device as any other that connects to the Internet. If your printer doesn't do that but only connects via wi-fi to your computer, then maybe it can't be thought of as 'smart'.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The problem with doing that, as I see it, is you would have items that cannot be used as most are connected by wifi and without that nothing would work. Your mobile phone, for instance, could well be connected via wifi. I know mine is when in my home as I cannot receive 4G indoors so it automatically connects via the wifi facility on my broadband.

The CCTV I have is I know connected via the internet, pictures from all cameras can then be displayed on my laptop or mobile phone as both are linked to the internet.
Our mobile phones are standard Nokia 130 DS non-smart 2G and when we asked about a new Hover 10Kg washing machine was advised connection to the internet would not be required for it work as per programme selected via the front controls.
Our intruder alarm system has the smart 'option' (not selected) and also connects to the phone line with an auto-dial cable. The CCTV links are hard wired and work via a remote control selector. It's the same with our gas boiler and its remote control.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 10:33 AM

https://youtu.be/RlNhD0oS5pk
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 01:00 PM

If I have a Smart Kettle, can the baddies make it whistle a tune?

I admit to having to take care of passwords for my Modem/Router (everyone knows the installation ones!).

Also, to NEVER leave remote assistance switched on.

The PCs and Mobile have pretty good protection available.

The Smart TVs go through the Router/Modem via the ethernet cable.

WiFi/Bluetooth protected but the range is only about 20 yards here!

Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Things that know what you want them to do, without you having to tell them.
That sounds like a wife. minus the thing part that is.
Roj Blake
London,UK
Roj Blake is male 

06-07-2021, 10:32 PM

My energy supplier just fitted one of those new smart meters with a smart energy display,so hopefully I'll be able to save a few pounds on my bills.Plus there wont be any need for the meter reader man to visit.
Smart printer that kindly re-orders ink when I'm about to run out.
Kids have various games consoles,Xbox,PS4,Switch.
Tablet, smart phones,laptop.
All connected to the internet.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top