Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 10:21 AM

Re: Low BPM

Hi

It is difficult to follow the advice as we are very independent us men.

What do the doctors know?

My attitude was sod that for a game of marbles, I am no wimp and will carry on and beat it.

How wrong I was.

I still mostly follow the advice, still a bit of a rebel, but it works.

We have 5 coronary arteries, I have one still working.

I also have a genetic abnormality, an additional one, but that is now only partially working.

If you continue, your problem will not be high blood pressure, it will be heart failure and low blood pressure.

That is far more dangerous and life changing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is difficult to follow the advice as we are very independent us men.

What do the doctors know?

My attitude was sod that for a game of marbles, I am no wimp and will carry on and beat it.

How wrong I was.

I still mostly follow the advice, still a bit of a rebel, but it works.

We have 5 coronary arteries, I have one still working.

I also have a genetic abnormality, an additional one, but that is now only partially working.

If you continue, your problem will not be high blood pressure, it will be heart failure and low blood pressure.

That is far more dangerous and life changing.
Thanks Swim, you must take good care of yourself....

However, I've always had low blood pressure and a slow heartbeat, and I know that beta blockers are not right for me, I had trouble with them in the past. Taking meds can lead to a conveyor of more meds, meds for the problem and meds for the side effects of the meds......My Dad was on 16 tablets a day, and I will not go there yet, perhaps when I get old........I accept that running is probably antagonising my problem, so I will stop running for now and see what happens. I think the beta blockers were a knee jerk reaction by the doctor when he saw the results of the 24 hour monitor. All the best with your problem Swim, and I hope you can still have a good quality of life....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I woke up this morning (no not that sort of 'Woke'...) and I felt crap!... My head was pounding and I couldn't get back to sleep for 'shushing' Tinnitus...Even my stomach felt upset and it later developed into diarrhoea, and my shoulders and arms felt like they did when I had my heart attack....

So at 6:30 this morning I walked round my 5 mile running course and kicked the beta blockers into the long grass. Not physically of course, but that's it! No more beta blockers! I refuse to join the zombie nation living on meds.....

The walk has restored me to my old self, apart from the diarrhoea....
Hi Bob I was waiting to see how you got on saying nothing.

As you probably know Beta blockers slow your heart rate making it easier for your heart to function, that is good in one way but the down side is some BBs can prevent the increase in heart rate that naturally occurs with exercise to power the body.

The BB of choice with most Doctors is Bisoprolol , it is cheap to prescribe. Some tolerate it others have a lot of side effects one being an inability to excercise .

I am asthmatic so can't take the category of BB to which Bisoprolol belongs ,instead I take Nebivolol a much more expensive drug which does not inhibit the increase in heart rate normally seen with exercise and seems to have few side effects.

I have been taking Nebivolol for 5 years with none of the horrible side effects many in my support group who take Bisoprolol experience in fact a number of members have switched to Nebivolol and feel better.

Bob if you really must take a BB it is worth giving Nebivolol a try . Another option is an ACE inhibitor.

Quality of life is very important, if a drug makes you feel rotton look at alternatives and don't be fobbed off by a GP keeping the costs down.

If you are having a problem with the 'electrics' in your heart you need to see an Electrophysiologist , Cardiologists are the plumbers of the heart world though some do both.
There is a set pathway laid down by NICE which all doctors follow.
First step an Echocardiogram (ultrasound) to check the heart heath and function then the options available will be suggested .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Bob I was waiting to see how you got on saying nothing.

As you probably know Beta blockers slow your heart rate making it easier for your heart to function, that is good in one way but the down side is some BBs can prevent the increase in heart rate that naturally occurs with exercise to power the body.

The BB of choice with most Doctors is Bisoprolol , it is cheap to prescribe. Some tolerate it others have a lot of side effects one being an inability to excercise .

I am asthmatic so can't take the category of BB to which Bisoprolol belongs ,instead I take Nebivolol a much more expensive drug which does not inhibit the increase in heart rate normally seen with exercise and seems to have few side effects.

I have been taking Nebivolol for 5 years with none of the horrible side effects many in my support group who take Bisoprolol experience in fact a number of members have switched to Nebivolol and feel better.

Bob if you really must take a BB it is worth giving Nebivolol a try . Another option is an ACE inhibitor.

Quality of life is very important, if a drug makes you feel rotton look at alternatives and don't be fobbed off by a GP keeping the costs down.

If you are having a problem with the 'electrics' in your heart you need to see an Electrophysiologist , Cardiologists are the plumbers of the heart world though some do both.
There is a set pathway laid down by NICE which all doctors follow.
First step an Echocardiogram (ultrasound) to check the heart heath and function then the options available will be suggested .
Wise words Meg!
My cardiologist told me there was nothing wrong with my plumbing but the Bisopropolol Fumarate would stop the rapid heart beat sessions. I only have 1.25mg a day and they have done the job, but it is important to get the right drug for each patient!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 10:53 AM

...I forgot to add my HR is low on Nebivolol but that doesn't produce symptoms and is far better than having the awful side effects some people taking Bisoprolol experience.
All Meds have the possibility of having side effects for some people, it is all about trying till you get one you can live with.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

18-07-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Wise words Meg!
My cardiologist told me there was nothing wrong with my plumbing but the Bisopropolol Fumarate would stop the rapid heart beat sessions. I only have 1.25mg a day and they have done the job, but it is important to get the right drug for each patient!
Hi Twink I am so glad it works for you

My older brother has PAF like me and takes Bisoprolol with no problems . He has just one known episode and I think is about 15 years behind me (that is when I had my first lone episode) , I have progressed to highly symptomatic long frequent episodes .
I also get PACs ( extra beats/ missed beats) usually benign but annoying.

Thank heavens for my Kardia, a little device I use with an Ipad (or smart phone) that can take a ECG at home and tell me what is happening or I can get a 24 hour analysis for £5 from the Kardia medics.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:11 AM

Hi

My ECG always shows up as abnormal.

The key thing is my blood pressure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

18-07-2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I was wondering whether or not to mention on this thread an episode I had yesterday, as it seems to tie in with problems others have or have had.

Yesterday at about 2pm, Marge and I were walking along the main street in Bakewell when things just 'faded out' and I woke up flat on my back on the pavement. Apparently, I was speaking in a garbling fashion to Marge, but slowly came round. I had been lying there unconscious for about 30 seconds and remember nothing about the episode.

One thing which impressed me, and restored my faith in human nature, was that apparently people nearby stopped and came to offer their help; even some shopkeepers came out to help, some with glasses of water. Even a woman sitting with her baby on her lap stood up and asked Marge if I'd like her seat. One person asked whether he should call an ambulance, so I suppose my collapse must have looked rather worrying. One lady from an estate agent's insisted that I come in and sit down inside, out of the sun, and brought me a glass of water. People really couldn't have been kinder and more helpful.

I must admit that I am often the most ready on here to criticise people, but I've learnt to change my attitude completely now. I'm going to become a nicer person!

When we got home, I telephoned the GP for advice. I was fully expecting the usual 'the surgery is closed' or 'you are 53rd in the queue', etc. (I exaggerate!) But no, I got through quite quickly and explained things to the receptionist, also informing her that I had tested my blood glucose (8.5), heart rate (54) and blood pressure (149/75 reducing to 130/67).
Again, I was expecting her to tell me to go to A&E or to call again for an appointment, or some such, but no, I had been very lucky to get a receptionist who recognised a potentially serious condition. She had a word with one of the GPs who called me back shortly afterward, confirmed the information I had given them and asked some more questions. He arranged for me to come in on 22nd July for blood tests and ECG, explaining that he thinks it likely to be some form of cardiac problem.

Naturally, Marge and I have been looking up information about cardiac pacemakers and, to be honest, it sounds quite probable that I shall have to have one myself. I do occasionally feel a little faint and, of course, I did have some sort of fit and loss of consciousness for a few seconds back in January whilst sitting at home on my computer. In addition, my heart rate (resting) is usually in the 50s, as low as 52 at the moment.

I see that Ted has one and that OGF might need one as well. I'll probably find myself joining the happy throng!

I'd just like to repeat that I have had my opinions of human nature changed for the better by both the very helpful and concerned people who witnessed my collapse and also the receptionist and GP who dealt with the problem very efficiently.

I hope that this has made me a better person.

Sorry to drone on for so long.
Hi JB I have been on holiday and am only just catching up .
Sorry to hear of your scary experience in my own home town too.

I hope you get a diagnosis and things sorted very soon...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi JB I have been on holiday and am only just catching up .
Sorry to hear of your scary experience in my own home town too.

I hope you get a diagnosis and things sorted very soon...
Thanks Meg. Lovely town, isn't it?

Yes, I'll be seen by the nurse next Thursday for blood sample and ECG. Hopefully soon afterwards by the doctor.

Marge and I have (naturally) been looking things up and found that 'postural hypotension' fits the bill quite closely. Until the problem is properly diagnosed, there are several things I can do to minimise or even preclude the symptoms, though the last event came on very quickly and without warning.

Thanks for your good wishes.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Meg. Lovely town, isn't it?

Yes, I'll be seen by the nurse next Thursday for blood sample and ECG. Hopefully soon afterwards by the doctor.

Marge and I have (naturally) been looking things up and found that 'postural hypotension' fits the bill quite closely. Until the problem is properly diagnosed, there are several things I can do to minimise or even preclude the symptoms, though the last event came on very quickly and without warning.

Thanks for your good wishes.
Hope you're better soon, JBR!

Don't let them talk you out of doing anything "naughty", it might be your last chance!

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top