Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 07:59 AM

Cloth or Paper towels ?

I just finished washing my dish towels and while busy with this chore, I recalled a few years ago, I hosted a Duke intern missionary from the US for a month.

He’s a super young man. What stood out to me was that he was so surprised that I use terry cloth dish towels which I wash and reuse.

He said that they just use paper towels for everything!
I found that to be such a waste.

What do you use for your dishes and to wipe hands?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:13 AM

Re: Cloth or Paper towels ?

My tea towels are all Irish linen, and I have good old fashioned roller towels in the kitchen for my hands - usually the 'phone rings or someone comes to the door the minute I put my hands in water. These are changed daily and washed on a 'boil wash' for hygiene.

To use paper for everything is, as you say, very wasteful.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Terry cotton tea towels in the kitchen, with a separate hand towel hanging on a peg. And, of course, towels in the bathroom. I'm amazed someone would use paper towels for everything, goodness that really is wasteful!

I've also made reusable make-up remover/cleansing cloths to avoid the waste of cotton wool pads and tissues. Soft cotton jersey one side, terry towelling on the other. One side for cleansing, the other side for applying toner. They go in a hot wash, along with towels and tea towels.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:25 AM

I use a mixture of paper towels and cloth towels. Paper towels for wiping down groceries (which I still do), putting on the bottom of the birdcage when I clean out the canary, and also for drying my hands. Regular towels for dishes, and other things that need drying.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:38 PM

Linen tea towels/glass cloths changed daily in the kitchen and the bathrooms have a mixture of cotton towels of varying sizes. The cloakroom has a hot air hand dryer fitted, but a cotton hand towel is also available for personal choice. When next buying towels, I might try a sample batch of the new bamboo types.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My tea towels are all Irish linen, and I have good old fashioned roller towels in the kitchen for my hands - usually the 'phone rings or someone comes to the door the minute I put my hands in water. These are changed daily and washed on a 'boil wash' for hygiene.

To use paper for everything is, as you say, very wasteful.
Yes ST I agree. When I said he used paper towels for everything, I meant wrt the kitchen
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Terry cotton tea towels in the kitchen, with a separate hand towel hanging on a peg. And, of course, towels in the bathroom. I'm amazed someone would use paper towels for everything, goodness that really is wasteful!

I've also made reusable make-up remover/cleansing cloths to avoid the waste of cotton wool pads and tissues. Soft cotton jersey one side, terry towelling on the other. One side for cleansing, the other side for applying toner. They go in a hot wash, along with towels and tea towels.
I do a boil wash for my kitchen towels and paper towels to wipe your hands.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:52 PM

I do have hand and tea towels but admit to using paper kitchen rolls for wiping down surfaces and for spills. I loathe having J cloths hanging about.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I use a mixture of paper towels and cloth towels. Paper towels for wiping down groceries (which I still do), putting on the bottom of the birdcage when I clean out the canary, and also for drying my hands. Regular towels for dishes, and other things that need drying.
I’m much the same PK
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Linen tea towels/glass cloths changed daily in the kitchen and the bathrooms have a mixture of cotton towels of varying sizes. The cloakroom has a hot air hand dryer fitted, but a cotton hand towel is also available for personal choice. When next buying towels, I might try a sample batch of the new bamboo types.
That sounds very interesting LD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top