Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:49 AM

Re: Why do we judge

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I believe some people like to know what others do for a living because it is a perceived way of establishing superiority or inferiority. To many a person's occupation is a way of calculating status and initially estimating where people fit into society, at least until they get to know them better. We tend to judge what people wear in a similar way, where they live and what car they drive - status. In the animal world bums, noses are sniffed and note is taken of size, condition, etc., pretty primitive stuff really, I think. In humans it is more subtle and sophisticated.
Yes but does that mean that an academic is superior to a cleaner say..?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:06 AM

Most people wouldn't know what an academic was if one bit them on the backside. For one thing it's mostly used as an adjective. When it comes to being asked "what do you do?" I generally play down what my job was/is or go totally outré as in very crude and involving immorality of one sort of another. It's a good way to avoid boring people!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:30 AM

I like to ask someone what they do for a living so I might be able to make use of them in the future....Bricky, plumber, masseur.....
During the recent hot weather the bin men and women were having a rest and shading under the trees on the green. I took them out glasses of water which was much appreciated, and what a great trio they turned out to be. I would be more inclined to take the mick out of a brainy academic and their inability to get their hands dirty and do a proper days work...
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:31 AM

Both my YS and a niece work in a supermarket. Sis on the tills now (though she used to fill shelves), not sure of niece. But both are being paid a wage. That’s good enough, eh?

OS used to workin her village library (reduced days opening). She loved it but to her husband it wasn’t a proper job! Where would we be without librarians??
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Most people wouldn't know what an academic was if one bit them on the backside. For one thing it's mostly used as an adjective. When it comes to being asked "what do you do?" I generally play down what my job was/is or go totally outré as in very crude and involving immorality of one sort of another. It's a good way to avoid boring people!
I tend to do the same but for different reasons. I really don’t care what a person does for a living provided it’s an honest living. I treat everyone the same…
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Both my YS and a niece work in a supermarket. Sis on the tills now (though she used to fill shelves), not sure of niece. But both are being paid a wage. That’s good enough, eh?

OS used to workin her village library (reduced days opening). She loved it but to her husband it wasn’t a proper job! Where would we be without librarians??
Why do we still need libraries?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Why do we still need libraries?
Not everyone has access to IT, not all books are in e-form, not everyone has spare cash to buy books.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I like to ask someone what they do for a living so I might be able to make use of them in the future....Bricky, plumber, masseur.....
During the recent hot weather the bin men and women were having a rest and shading under the trees on the green. I took them out glasses of water which was much appreciated, and what a great trio they turned out to be. I would be more inclined to take the mick out of a brainy academic and their inability to get their hands dirty and do a proper days work...
Exactly right!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
People by the jobs they do..?, I’m sure we’ve all met someone at a social gathering and inevitably the conversation comes round to “ and what do you do” ?
Does the answer then determine how we treat them, if they said , “ I’m a nuclear physicist “ would this mean they’d be treated differently than if they said “ I’m a fast food worker “ if so, why, either one could be a nasty piece of work, as either could be the nicest person on the planet, so why do we judge on a persons profession..?
But isn't this a thing of days gone by? I remember as a young man meeting parents of friends (or worse a maiden aunt): and what do you do. Do people still say that? In the olden days there were set career paths and people stuck on those paths. Also re snobbery, it was just people "from a good family" that went to uni, and went on to become true professionals. It's all different now.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:49 AM

I doubt if I was ever judged for my line of work, but during my school years up until I went to boarding school at 11 yrs 5months, I was classed as 'the filthy Yid' even though most my surviving family after WWII were lapsed/non observant.

There are several categories of judgement to my way of thinking and employment is only one of them.
To me, if people have to work to live, then they are ALL working class; from that supreme arse of a PM Boris Johnson, to the person collecting his rubbish ..all are working class.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top