Join for free
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 04:58 PM

Chicken Korma with a twist

So, dinner on a cold winter’s night is Chicken Korma on a bed of wholewheat linguine

Click image for larger version

Name:	59108E4D-8CCD-45B7-8B18-8853828C545F.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	16434

INGREDIENTS
For the chicken marinade:
28 oz (800g) boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger (or finely grated)
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon of salt
For the sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons ghee (or 1 tbs butter + 1 tbs oil)
1 large onion, sliced or chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced or finely grated
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
14 oz (400 g) crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to your taste preference)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 cup of heavy or thickened cream (or evaporated milk to save calories)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi (or dried fenugreek leaves)

INSTRUCTIONS
In a bowl, combine chicken with all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade; let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour (or overnight if time allows).
Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm. (You will finish cooking the chicken in the sauce.)
Heat butter or ghee in the same pan. Fry the onions until they start to sweat (about 6 minutes) while scraping up any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan.
Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add ground coriander, cumin and garam masala. Let cook for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally.
Add crushed tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown red colour.
Remove from heat, scoop mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to help it blend (up to 1/4 cup). Work in batches depending on the size of your blender.
Pour the puréed sauce back into the pan. Stir the cream, sugar and crushed kasoori methi (or fenugreek leaves) through the sauce. Add the chicken with juices back into the pan and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling.
Garnish with chopped cilantro/spring onions and serve with fresh, hot garlic butter rice and fresh homemade Naan bread or al dente pasta. Enjoy!

and yes, the chilli is from my garden… and no, I will not be eating it since I don’t do hot

Plankton
United States
Plankton is male 

28-07-2021, 05:29 PM

Re: Chicken Korma with a twist

Mmm, mmm sounds delicious!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 07:55 PM

Kor blimey, I fancy some of that.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Plankton ->
Mmm, mmm sounds delicious!
Thanks Plank
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-07-2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Kor blimey, I fancy some of that.
Hey DooD!

I am TRAUMATISED from the Quiz so you’re getting absolutely nothing!

seriously though- I enjoyed every agonising moment - thank you for taking the time to figure out how best to torture my mind
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2021, 08:08 PM

A dollop of cucumber raita on mine please.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

28-07-2021, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
A dollop of cucumber raita on mine please.
Wow - looks like you know your Indian cuisine DooD!
For you… I killa da bull

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top