Join for free
Page 240 of 505 « First < 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 290 340 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:33 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I doubt they'd consider the dog (or whatever) had any feelings!!

Most of us eat beef, pork, lamb and chicken. When we're eating it, do we consider the animal's suffering when it died?
Not much difference really is there?
Yes, I would, which is why I would never knowingly eat halal or kosher meat.
In addition we have laws which most of us adhere to (with the exception of certain sections of society, of course, who appear to be above some of our laws). Also, I believe that most of us would not dream of hurting an animal and, if we were desperate for food, we'd kill it in as humane a way as we possibly could.

Of course, we are all aware that there are those cultures who have no such feelings.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 12:57 AM

Interesting analysis of the divide between an instant lockdown and a gradual lockdown:

The "lock-downers" argue tighter restrictions are the only way to stop the virus spreading. They also reckon this will mean the least economic cost in the long run. It's a twin argument to save lives and jobs.

Jacinda Ardern, Boris Johnson and plenty of medical experts fall broadly into this category.

Then there are the "gradual steppers" who want to keep people in work for as long as possible.

Australian PM, Scotty from Marketing, the premiers and the Chief Medical Officer fall broadly into this category, with some wanting to step more gradually than others. They, too, argue their case on both economic and health grounds.

Only time will tell who was right.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...onomy/12098358
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I would, which is why I would never knowingly eat halal or kosher meat.
In addition we have laws which most of us adhere to (with the exception of certain sections of society, of course, who appear to be above some of our laws). Also, I believe that most of us would not dream of hurting an animal and, if we were desperate for food, we'd kill it in as humane a way as we possibly could.

Of course, we are all aware that there are those cultures who have no such feelings.

That's exactly what I meant JBR.
Even the biggest moron has got ears and hears the screams as they lower them in the boiling water.
There are no excuses on this earth that can condone that sickening treatment.

Even from a less emotional point of view, if the scientists and researchers themselves truly believe these markets are where this killer virus comes from (which I have my doubts about anyway), why are they allowed to continue still doing the same?

It doesn't make any sense. If it were true and those appalling meat markets started it, they should have been closed down immediately and made illegal.
What is the point of employing people to research the cause of the virus if they don't intend acting on it? Where is the logic in that?

Personally I feel it is very convenient to blame the animals who can say nothing to defend themselves or refute their story. I have said all along that there is much we are not being told.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 01:25 AM

Britons stranded abroad due to the coronavirus pandemic are being faced with flights home costing more than £40,000, prompting a wave of accusations that the Foreign Office is failing to adequately support people desperate to come home.

Britons in New Zealand told the Observer that the only available flights to the UK are prohibitively priced with even the cheaper tickets costing as much as £15,000. A Qatari Airlines flight from Auckland to London on 31 March was priced at NZ$83,534 (£40,096).

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2...om-new-zealand

I have to say that if I was in New Zealand the last thing I would want to do is fly to the UK. Surely NZ is a safer place to be?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 03:35 AM

In Mexico, people seem to have no concept of social distancing. When at the market they crowd together in the lines at the checkout. When selecting vegetables, people come right up next to me, literally bumping me.

Only 1 in 25 are using any form of mask. And, those few are Chinese. (Yes, there is a large population of Chinese here)

I see no evidence of any shutdowns. The beauty salons are still doing a booming business.

No surprise really. The Mexicans have a long history of doing what they blanking well please, regardless of what the law says.

The only positive thing I can say about living here during the crisis is that the grocery stores are extremely well stocked.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, I think he's the only one laughing about it! Weird.
Always taken this serious not like you.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
In Mexico, people seem to have no concept of social distancing. When at the market they crowd together in the lines at the checkout. When selecting vegetables, people come right up next to me, literally bumping me.

Only 1 in 25 are using any form of mask. And, those few are Chinese. (Yes, there is a large population of Chinese here)

I see no evidence of any shutdowns. The beauty salons are still doing a booming business.

No surprise really. The Mexicans have a long history of doing what they blanking well please, regardless of what the law says.

The only positive thing I can say about living here during the crisis is that the grocery stores are extremely well stocked.
Mexico at this time does not have to many cases.

American death toll as in UK is taking off.

Am so pleased that my Daughter is being made to work from home...such a weight off my mind.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-03-2020, 06:08 AM

Global Cases 664071
Global Deaths 30883
Mortality Rate 4.6%
(Flu Mortality Rate 0.1%)

Australia
Cases 3969
Deaths 16
Critical 23
Cases per Million 156

U.K.
Cases 17089
Deaths 1019
Critical 163
Cases per Million 252

USA
Cases 123750
Deaths 2227
Critical 2666
Cases per Million 374

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Key moments in todays news:

• The national death toll rises to 16 after a woman in Queensland and a man in Victoria both died after contracting COVID-19
  • New Zealand records first coronavirus death
  • Mathias Corman confirms it will change the partner income test for people on welfare
  • Mental health, domestic violence, Medicare and emergency food services will receive a $1.1 billion injection from the Federal Government
  • Charting the COVID-19 spread: National count jumps as NSW records another death
  • Australia's international border restrictions come into effect
  • Donald Trump considering lockdown of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-03-2020, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Mexico at this time does not have to many cases.

American death toll as in UK is taking off.

Am so pleased that my Daughter is being made to work from home...such a weight off my mind.
I have to say that the UK death toll seems amazingly high, far higher than the global figure, any idea why?

Just on rough raw figures the mortality rate appears to be:

Australia 0.4%
UK 6%
USA 1.8%

Not withstanding that each country is at a different stage of the virus' spread the differences are astounding, you would have expected them to be similar.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2020, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Even from a less emotional point of view, if the scientists and researchers themselves truly believe these markets are where this killer virus comes from (which I have my doubts about anyway), why are they allowed to continue still doing the same?

It doesn't make any sense. If it were true and those appalling meat markets started it, they should have been closed down immediately and made illegal.
What is the point of employing people to research the cause of the virus if they don't intend acting on it? Where is the logic in that?

Personally I feel it is very convenient to blame the animals who can say nothing to defend themselves or refute their story. I have said all along that there is much we are not being told.
Yes. Isn't it curious that we hear nothing about locating the source and taking action against it - or are we prepared to let this happen again and again?

Page 240 of 505 « First < 140 190 230 238 239 240 241 242 250 290 340 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top