Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:58 PM

Re: internet dongle

I take great pains to hide wires. The Ethernet lead connecting the computer to the router is a long one. It runs out through the wall at the back of the computer and into the integrated garage. From there it goes into the lounge a bit further along the same wall. It's a lead that's been in place for years, so might as well use it.

The laptop computer and tablet sitting nearby connect wirelessly.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I take great pains to hide wires. The Ethernet lead connecting the computer to the router is a long one. It runs out through the wall at the back of the computer and into the integrated garage. From there it goes into the lounge a bit further along the same wall. It's a lead that's been in place for years, so might as well use it.

The laptop computer and tablet sitting nearby connect wirelessly.
with that length of lead you must suffer at least some signal loss. Have you compared your laptop to your desk top for speed

link that i use by ookla

https://www.google.com/search?q=spee...hrome&ie=UTF-8
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 10:04 PM

There is a little difference in Internet speed between the direct connection that the Desktop computer has and the wi-fi connection that the laptop computer is using. In theory, the Ethernet cable should be faster but it isn't. I don't know what this would be due to but perhaps not the cable connection itself.

The difference is so little in my case though that it isn't going to make me look for the reason. The Ookla test..

Ethernet cable: Download = 215.22Mbps - Upload = 21.05Mbps
Wi-fi: Download = 219.62 - Upload = 21.01Mbps
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:06 PM

I can on!y get around 33 mbps dow load. Even using fibre
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

20-01-2020, 11:37 PM

I think it's the difference between Virgin Media fibre and fibre over the BT system. VM use fibre to the cabinet at the end of the road and then co-ax to the home. Because the cable to the home is co-ax and bigger, VM can use something called 'DOCSIS' that gives speed without loss over longer distances of cable.

VM offered me a 500Mbps connection a while ago but I didn't go for it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

21-01-2020, 12:06 AM

We can't have VM here for some reason or other
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Why is a dongle called a dongle? The origin of the word is uncertain but the page linked to below gives some theories. The lone sentence in the middle of the article stands out a bit (no pun intended).

http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/dongle/

The name won't change now but I wonder what might have been a better name for it? Maybe something more technical like a 'port interface'? Then we could have a 'wi-fi port interface' or a 'wireless mouse port interface'.

These terms don't sound quite a catchy as the word 'dongle' but might be better than some people thinking it's like a male part hanging off a computer..
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What's a dongle then? In our house a router connects the wifi to the computers.
Think of it as a two way powered aerial which can connect you to a wireless network/router (usually via your USB Port) or to a mobile phone mast.

People who take advantage of ethernet connections don't need a dongle.

Some laptops, notebooks,etc, have a wired aerial looped internally around the screen. so they don't need a dongle either.

Some desktops have built in circuits.

However, a PS standing in a room, far away from the signal source (router?) , and maybe having some signal blocking/interference, due to nearby fridges, etc., might well need to have one hanging high up on the wall to encourage connection.

I.M.O better to use ethernet, where possible, as it has been fastest for a long while - although USB3 & 5G might be getting the upper hand now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Doesn't mean a thing to me RS, as I said I thought all modern computers come wifi enabled but according to you people in the know, apparently not.... hey ho, live and learn...
You can get desktops with wifi built in, I have never bothered because my house has wired internet connections (LAN) in each room.

Wired connections used to be much faster than wifi but the 5Ghz band has reduced that difference to three parts of bugger all.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top