Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Heaven on a roll

the photo is of a New Orleans shrimp "Po Boy". (short for poor boy)
There are many, many types of some what similar sandwiches in the U.S. : Subs, Grinders, and Heroes. etc, but New Orleans has the very best of the best. It is normal for the customer to make his own cocktail sauce at the table. Ketchup, horseradish, squeeze of lemon, and tabasco sauce.

Luckily, for me, I spent years cooking in New Orleans and I can make my own wherever I happen to be in the world. In my teens, and 20's I had no trouble polishing off a whole Po Boy, but, at my age I doubt I could do the same

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp_poboy.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	11572  
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 07:50 PM

Re: Heaven on a roll

That looks delicious!
Always wondered what Po Boy meant, seems obvious now!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
That looks delicious!
Always wondered what Po Boy meant, seems obvious now!
the name stems from the times during "The Great Depression" when guys had little money to spare. In those days, guys on their way to work, assuming they were lucky enough to have a job, stopped off at a small restaurant to get something cheap to eat for lunch. Some cook, or so the story goes, came up with the idea of making a lg sandwich filled with lettuce, tomato, and a cheap luncheon meat. as financial times grew better, the Po Boy was filled with better cuts of meat or seafood.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 09:04 PM

Sandwich looks delish ... just a little mayo for me please.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 10:33 PM

Yum!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 02:37 PM

Ooooh, that does look yum! cut the tomato out, more iceberg lettuce and plenty of Mayo please. Oh, and put back in those Shrimps that have fallen out!
bakerman
Mexico

09-02-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ooooh, that does look yum! cut the tomato out, more iceberg lettuce and plenty of Mayo please. Oh, and put back in those Shrimps that have fallen out!
Yes, indeed. that is a truly fabulous sandwich, but seriously, it is much better with a zippy cocktail sauce. One of my all-time favorite sandwiches.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top