Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 08:56 PM

Re: Is Paranoia rife on this site?

I have friends who hate technology and almost refuse to touch a tablet , computer or mobile phone . They wont even take lessons .

I can play around on my tablet , I buy online and try to keep with it , I like being in the know , but modern fast life does go over my head at times .

I also find people talk too fast, especially in call centres , i have to ask them to slow down or explain things to me
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 09:55 PM

My late Dad would have loved all the new technology, sadly he died before home PCs became normal in homes. No mobile phones then either. I bet now, if he were still here, he'd have all the latest & everything he could get.

I have friends who won't have a PC also. Mainly I think because of the cost. Not all pensioners can afford the net.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
My late Dad would have loved all the new technology, sadly he died before home PCs became normal in homes. No mobile phones then either. I bet now, if he were still here, he'd have all the latest & everything he could get.

I have friends who won't have a PC also. Mainly I think because of the cost. Not all pensioners can afford the net.
My Dad loved photography and developed and printed his own photo's. I was never allowed into his dark room until I was older when he taught me how to do it. Unfortunately he passed away just as digital photography was just coming in. He would have loved using digital and photoshop....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I have friends who hate technology and almost refuse to touch a tablet , computer or mobile phone . They wont even take lessons .

I can play around on my tablet , I buy online and try to keep with it , I like being in the know , but modern fast life does go over my head at times .

I also find people talk too fast, especially in call centres , i have to ask them to slow down or explain things to me

I sooo agree with you Susan, except I haven't got a tablet, but same applies to my laptop.
As for people taking too fast - I totally agree 100% with you there.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:42 PM

What is there to fear, its just data being rebranded, over and over, what comes next may encourage paranoia.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:10 PM

I'm one of the youngest here and I think it's perfectly justifiable to worry about what is being imposed on us without any kind of official consultation. There's no choice - like it or lump it. Why should people forced to take on high tech rubbish? The whole lot could be wiped out by hacking or destroying communication cables. It's ridiculous to place all our eggs in one basket like this. Hasn't anyone read "the machine stops"? Who really understands how these things will work - machine talking to machine?? Hardly alarmist. We should be given a blinking choice!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What is there to fear, its just data being rebranded, over and over, what comes next may encourage paranoia.
Do you realise that the future (and part of the present) is about machine talking to machine with no human involvement? So decisions could be made based on pre-programmed algorithms and the code to figure it out could be buried with the bones of whoever created it.....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 01:48 AM

I have friends who mock me for having a Facebook account I daren't tell them I post here too they would have a field day at my expense
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:46 AM

Summer I have a Facebook account .
How else Can I keep track of my friends and children all over the world .
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 02:01 PM

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you.

There are people who work late and stay awake at night trying to figure out how to screw you out of something you worked for.

Technology has made it easier and safer because it can be done remotely rather than face to face.

Most people become victims out of greed. They fall for an old "something for nothing" scam that is as old as human beings. (The same scheme the government uses running the lottery) I have never looked for something for nothing so it is hard to defraud me that way.

I try to take advantage of the good parts of technical advances and don't spend a lot of time worrying about the bad parts. I like the internet because you can befriend someone without them expecting you to come help them move.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top