Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Re: spam

I wasn't quite so polite at the time
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Percy,

I think that you will find that those numbers have been faked up to make it look like the calls come from a respectable area.

Probably some Ruskie has doctored, even purchased, those numbers to make the scam calls seem OK.

I have read about this happening too, Ted.
Buggers, aren't they!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:24 AM

I love Spam. I 'm having Spam, egg .Spam. CHeese, Spam, bacon, sausage, Spam and Spam.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 10:16 AM

I have just checked my ‘Junk’ mailbox. Only 94 today, but it is still early.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I have just checked my ‘Junk’ mailbox. Only 94 today, but it is still early.
I have just checked my ‘Junk’ mailbox. One email, been there a week, which is not junk really.

I go through period of getting spam, but my isp blocks them, presumably. They're get-rich-quick schemes, russian-brides and stuff addressed to me as my name appears in my @btinternet.com address. So my isp is where these rogues got my email address in the first place.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Mr Glanny has just read in The Times that the Amazon Prime scam phone calls (the one I got the other day) has apparently netted the scammers a million pounds in the last 3 months...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Mr Glanny has just read in The Times that the Amazon Prime scam phone calls (the one I got the other day) has apparently netted the scammers a million pounds in the last 3 months...
This sounds so bad that I think there should be TV ads about how to recognise scammers, both telephone and others, just like we used to have road safety adverts, because it seems that many people are unable to differentiate between scams and genuine callers.

I'm sure we here would recognise them quite easily, but there must be many people - mostly old people (yes, I know we're old people!) I should think who are far too trusting, largely because the world they were brought up in was a far more honest one.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
This sounds so bad that I think there should be TV ads about how to recognise scammers, both telephone and others, just like we used to have road safety adverts.
These scams are mentioned all the time on local TV news broadcasts, Watchdog, Martin Lewis' show, etc but there are still people about that are easily taken in by these calls.

As it happens, I've tried to start Sky's call blocker this afternoon but, for some reason, it wouldn't start. Now I've been on hold for 25min so far waiting for someone to help me set it up.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:36 PM

I don’t understand how people can fall for some of these scams. On the phone it is mostly recorded messages.
Even rare live calls, I can tell as most of the callers are foreign.
I like the one where they say your Bank account has been infiltrated.
I them ask what bank is that? That gets them stopped in their tracks.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Ha! As soon as I posted ^^ someone answered and sorted me out. Apparently it takes 24hrs to switch itself on then we're good to go. One thing I find a little scary, the technician I was talking to was based in BULGARIA!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top