Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 08:50 PM

I cannot download and install Ring software on my computer

Up until last night, I have been successfully using the Ring security camera software on my Windows 10 laptop. Suddenly, however, the software will not run.
I initially asked Ring customer support what to do, and was advised to uninstall the software from my laptop, reboot, and then re-install the software.
This I did today but I now find that the software will not download and install.
Ring says that, as the app works on my smartphone, this must be a Microsoft fault. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to contact Microsoft direct other than asking for advice on their user web site. I have had no responses there.
If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem might be, I'd be very grateful for any advice.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:19 PM

Re: I cannot download and install Ring software on my computer

On a fully updated W.10 version 1909 system, the Ring software does download and install. I know this because just I tried it. That maybe isn't much help other than to let you know that it should work and it's not the system per se that won't run it. I can't try it further than that because I don't have a Ring system, an account or anything.

What sort of state is it in now? Just uninstalled and that's that?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:24 PM

You could ring Ring and ask for a ring back when they are free to ring you
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
On a fully updated W.10 version 1909 system, the Ring software does download and install. I know this because just I tried it. That maybe isn't much help other than to let you know that it should work and it's not the system per se that won't run it. I can't try it further than that because I don't have a Ring system, an account or anything.

What sort of state is it in now? Just uninstalled and that's that?
Thanks for that.

Firstly, yes I uninstalled the Ring software (on the advice of Ring's customer advice people) and there is now no trace of it on the computer. It had ceased to work properly anyway.

As for the version of Windows 10, I wondered whether the fact that I had disabled Windows Update might have been the problem, so today I enabled it and it downloaded the latest version (or so it says). However, I opened 'winver' and this shows the present version is 1903 (OS build 18362.535) whatever that means.

Even so, the Ring web site assures me that any Windows version newer than around 1700 (I seem to remember) should work.

So it still could be either Windows or the Ring software itself. I can't be sure.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-02-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You could ring Ring and ask for a ring back when they are free to ring you
No, I've already been discussing it with them via their chat facility. This isn't a forum as such, but is manned (or womanned) by their technical staff.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 10:53 PM

Probably going over the ground you have but where did you uninstall the software? Was it in 'All settings > Apps > Apps and Features'?

Also, where did you get the software from? I was guided to the Windows Store to get it. Is that where you got it from?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Probably going over the ground you have but where did you uninstall the software? Was it in 'All settings > Apps > Apps and Features'?

Also, where did you get the software from? I was guided to the Windows Store to get it. Is that where you got it from?
No, I uninstalled it directly from the Start menu. However, I have also looked in Apps and Features to check that it has truly gone, and it has.

I originally got the software from the Windows Store, but I believe that was a couple of years ago. I also tried to download it from the same place today without success.
Actually, I was wondering if there is an alternative place from which to download it and tried googling, but couldn't find anything.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

18-02-2020, 11:36 PM

It looks like you have done all the right steps. Do you run Windows as a limited user or as admin?

I wonder if you'd get the same trouble if trying to install anything else from the Windows Store. Something you could try is resetting the Windows Store:

Right click on the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen.
Click on 'Run'.
type wsreset into the box and click OK.
A black window will open that seemingly does nothing. Just wait.
When the Window closes, the Windows Store will open.
Search for 'ring' and see if it will install.

All paths lead to the Windows Store when searching for places to get the software.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-02-2020, 11:51 PM

It looks like you have done all the right steps. Do you run Windows as a limited user or as admin?

I wonder if you'd get the same trouble if trying to install anything else from the Windows Store. Something you could try is resetting the Windows Store:

Right click on the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen.
Click on 'Run'.
type wsreset into the box and click OK.
A black window will open that seemingly does nothing. Just wait.
When the Window closes, the Windows Store will open.
Search for 'ring' and see if it will install.

All paths lead to the Windows Store when searching for places to get the software.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Actually, I have just received a solution from someone on another forum - one involved in DIY (not)... er, mustn't mention other forum names here, of course. His advice was to clear the cache on Chrome browser. Suddenly, it downloaded! I'm surprised that it didn't occur to the Ring experts that that might be it.

So it wasn't the Ring software or Windows, but Chrome that was the oppressed minority in the woodpile.

Anyway, all sorted now, and thanks again for your help.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

19-02-2020, 12:20 AM

Ah, I wouldn't have twigged that you were accessing the Windows Store using a browser. I've always accessed Microsoft's Windows Store directly from the app that is part of the system.

I think if you had gone straight to there, there might not have been a problem. Anyway, I'm pleased everything is OK now.

Edit: I should get used to calling the Windows Store 'Microsoft Store' It was rebranded a while ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top