Join for free
View Poll Results: In principle, should we mandate CCTV in UK care homes?
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:11 PM

Re: CCTV in care homes?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

I miss caring but it is so emotionally draining and very physical work I decided when my lady passed away that I would go back into the office. It is mentally and physically taxing but very, very rewarding when that residents face lights up when you walk in the room.
Excellent post, LQ.
I picked up on this point because it bears on something I may have posted earlier. I'm not a carer but we have a dog with a gentle nature so we had him PAT assessed. Pets as therapy.

I took him to visit a very disabled lady and her face just beamed when Max strolled in so yes, I understand how rewarding that can be.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Wow thanks Lion Queen. I wasn't expecting that at all. You just lifted my day. You are a genuine caring person.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
In principle should CCTV be mandated in every UK care home which involves personal care of vulnerable people? So far as I can see it is the only way to stamp out abusers, perverts and lazy carers and ensure that care is delivered to a reasonable standard.
I know there will be practical issues like security and rights of access which is why I ask "in principle"
I can't think of anything more demeaning than having a camera record visually or audibly every time you have an upset tummy or other embarrassing 'body malfunction'.

There has to be other ways of weeding out abusers.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Excellent post, LQ.
I picked up on this point because it bears on something I may have posted earlier. I'm not a carer but we have a dog with a gentle nature so we had him PAT assessed. Pets as therapy.

I took him to visit a very disabled lady and her face just beamed when Max strolled in so yes, I understand how rewarding that can be.
Thank you, Pets as therapy is an excellent idea. The owners of the care home had a Labradoodle they used to bring in, the residents loved him.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Wow thanks Lion Queen. I wasn't expecting that at all. You just lifted my day. You are a genuine caring person.
Thank you

I'm so glad I lifted your day, me lifting your day has lifted my day!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I can't think of anything more demeaning than having a camera record visually or audibly every time you have an upset tummy or other embarrassing 'body malfunction'.

There has to be other ways of weeding out abusers.
Yes, it's all about maintaining the residents dignity. It's terribly sad that we are in a position where we have to find a way to weed out those abusers.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 04:28 PM

I'm in favour of CCTV in the public areas but audio only in private ones unless, that is, the patient's relatives have installed a camera in the room.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 09:07 PM

OK so it seems the majority are in favour which is interesting because hardly any of our care homes do have CCTV.
From the comments I think we need different rules for public and private spaces. Maybe...
All public space footage can be accessed by management only and only shown to relatives with management approval.
Footage from private spaces eg resident's rooms and their private toilets could only be accessed by residents (if able) or their relatives.
In private spaces perhaps residents or their relatives can select full video, sound only or none at their discretion.
Any public space like a communal toilet becomes a private space when being used by a resident.
For me the most important point is that CCTV should be available for every space. Carers must agree to being monitored as part of their T&Cs and residents must define the scope of their private spaces. Does that cover it all?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Just about as far as I'm concerned R1

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top