Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 07:44 PM

Sparky booked

So as part of our new kitchen install, we’re going to have the electrics upgraded, we are having a new consumer unit fitted as well as a couple of extra circuits for the induction hob and oven and microwave, the quote is just over a grand, which seems expensive but it really isn’t too bad, apparently it’s the circuit breakers that cost the most, but hey ho, we are using a local chap who just lives around the corner so he’s not travelling far...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 01:28 AM

Re: Sparky booked

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
So as part of our new kitchen install, we’re going to have the electrics upgraded, we are having a new consumer unit fitted as well as a couple of extra circuits for the induction hob and oven and microwave, the quote is just over a grand, which seems expensive but it really isn’t too bad, apparently it’s the circuit breakers that cost the most, but hey ho, we are using a local chap who just lives around the corner so he’s not travelling far...
You've got that right. RCCBOs for Wylex consumer units for example are around £26 each. A better solution, but a damned expensive one.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 02:46 AM

Seems excessive price for a small job, might pay to get other quotes first

however make sure you obtain a certificate of electrical inspection and a chart same as below

It has a plastic sheet over it hence bit blurred. This is now also a requirement to be close to the fuse board

I did make extensive enquires about fuse rating for our induction range cooker and found that a 32amp fuse is sufficient. This was confirmed by the electrician we called in to be absolutely clear. didn't need anything done as it was the same as the old range master we had removed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 07:48 AM

Your thread title had me worried for a while there, Primus - "Sparky" being the nickname for the US electric chair!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Seems excessive price for a small job, might pay to get other quotes first

however make sure you obtain a certificate of electrical inspection and a chart same as below

It has a plastic sheet over it hence bit blurred. This is now also a requirement to be close to the fuse board

I did make extensive enquires about fuse rating for our induction range cooker and found that a 32amp fuse is sufficient. This was confirmed by the electrician we called in to be absolutely clear. didn't need anything done as it was the same as the old range master we had removed.
Yes, rs, had another quote, about the same, but he wanted to add a couple of extras, a fire detection breaker?, and an rcd
Primus1
York

21-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Your thread title had me worried for a while there, Primus - "Sparky" being the nickname for the US electric chair!
Oo er tabs, I’ll have to check all the chairs when he’s done, just in case mrs p has asked him to add an extra circuit
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Sparky was the name given to Radio Operators, way back to the days of the Titanic, etc.

That was because, in those days, and back up to the mid 1950s (they had one in the lifeboats on my first ship - RMS Franconia), there would have been a Spark Transmitter which was very useful in emergency situations, because it screamed over the top of just about everything else on the medium wave band.

The name has been nicked, these days, by electricians. Ships no longer have Sparkies.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Thought that was old smokey.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Sparky was the name given to Radio Operators, way back to the days of the Titanic, etc.

That was because, in those days, and back up to the mid 1950s (they had one in the lifeboats on my first ship - RMS Franconia), there would have been a Spark Transmitter which was very useful in emergency situations, because it screamed over the top of just about everything else on the medium wave band.

The name has been nicked, these days, by electricians. Ships no longer have Sparkies.
Now I always thought that was 'sparks'. My Dad always referred to himself as a Sparks.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

21-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Thought that was old smokey.
Apparently it was in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

In many other states it was Sparky, Old Sparky, Gruesome Gertie, and Yellow mama!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top