Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:07 PM

Re: Brexit Budget Failure

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The commission will take the money off these countries whether they like it or not. If they don't pay they will lose their voting rights ... then they will have no choice.

I dunno why they couldn't see this coming a mile off... we did
I agree.

Individual 'member states' have no real say in how the EU runs itself. The one body which has real power is the Commission and each 'member state' has only one representative on that body.

For that reason, no individual country can sway how the EU is run. Taking the half-dozen states which have said they will not pay any more against the rest of the 27, who are probably under the continued influence of France and Germany, and any refusal to pay will fall on stony ground.

The only solution for those who don't want to pay more is to leave, just as we are doing, and I believe that that is inevitable.

There will still, therefore, exist a shortfall in the EU's funding. I can't imagine that Germany, and certainly France, would agree to pay more, so from whom would they get their money?

Surely, the only answer cannot be to charge the poorer nations, can it? They already receive more than they pay. Perhaps that's what will happen: the poorer states will cease to receive the financial support they presently have.

If nothing else, the situation will become increasingly more interesting.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

Individual 'member states' have no real say in how the EU runs itself. The one body which has real power is the Commission and each 'member state' has only one representative on that body.

For that reason, no individual country can sway how the EU is run. Taking the half-dozen states which have said they will not pay any more against the rest of the 27, who are probably under the continued influence of France and Germany, and any refusal to pay will fall on stony ground.

The only solution for those who don't want to pay more is to leave, just as we are doing, and I believe that that is inevitable.

There will still, therefore, exist a shortfall in the EU's funding. I can't imagine that Germany, and certainly France, would agree to pay more, so from whom would they get their money?

Surely, the only answer cannot be to charge the poorer nations, can it? They already receive more than they pay. Perhaps that's what will happen: the poorer states will cease to receive the financial support they presently have.

If nothing else, the situation will become increasingly more interesting.

If germany starts to collect on its loans it could be very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start making land grabs ...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
In 10 or 20 years folk will say ..the EU? What was that?
Like the children now ask, british empire? Was that before or after the roman empire?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:58 PM

If germany starts to collect on its loans it could be very interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't start making land grabs ...
Indeed. If that happens, I wonder how France would react.
After all, I get the impression that France sees itself as the future ruler of a European superstate.

Now wouldn't that be funny?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not interested per se, just indulging in a bit of schadenfreude
Yes, you've chosen the fitting language. It is a typical german thing.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

23-02-2020, 12:01 AM

Isn't it die Deutsche Bank the UK is heavily indebted to?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Isn't it die Deutsche Bank the UK is heavily indebted to?
Deutsche Bank has way too many problems. It's been on life support since 2008 and scaling itself down by getting rid of itself.

Our deficit is down by 75%+ since 2010.

Look at the EU deficits especially in the eurozone. Its bankrupt and bailing itself out every day.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

23-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Like the children now ask, british empire? Was that before or after the roman empire?

They will point to the 27 countries that was the EU and have a right old laugh at it thats for sure. Another lesson for them in failed ideologies and incompetence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2020, 12:46 PM

They will point to the 27 countries that was the EU and have a right old laugh at it thats for sure. Another lesson for them in failed ideologies and incompetence.
And greed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thing is, even before all the drawn out shenanigans of Brexit it was obvious that the EU as a trading block gone rogue was on it's last legs. Doomed to one day implode. Crumble under the dread weight of its own bureaucracy.

It always was one of those daft philanthropic Utopias where the 'poor get richer at the expense of the rich who get poorer' ... ( and no one complains)
or .. more realistically,
'the EU is only as strong as it's weakest link'.

In 10 or 20 years folk will say ..the EU? What was that?

That's true Morty, and they are all for welcoming in countries such as Serbia and Montenegro next by 2025, and Albania!!! and North Macedonia after that.

Not exactly Net Payer prospects are they? I bet the 'Frugal Four' will be getting dry mouths at the prospect.
They will certainly have to dig deep into their pockets to bring the poorest country in Europe - Albania - up to modern standards. Good luck with that! I'm just so glad we are out of it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top