Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Re: Do You Remember When.......

Originally Posted by MickB ->
We must have been posh as we had a fridge - well, a large cubic biscuit tin sunk into the ground outside the back door which was used to keep milk and butter cool during the summer.
My mum was never much of a cook - I didn't realise vegetables could be tasty until I had left home. Her idea of cooking a cauliflower, for example, was to cut it in half and boil it until it was a grey mush. My nan was a much better cook and her cakes and pies were unbelievable. She never measured anything yet they always came out perfect.
On the subject of lard, one of our favourite delicacies was the 'dripping' left over from a roast dinner. This stayed in the larder in an earthenware bowl and was used for wonderful bread and dripping sandwiches!! MMMMMMM!!
I remember those, the lovely bloody coloured bit underneath that gave it it's unique flavour.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Shrops your evocative account of your Mum cooking with lard and the chip pan brought back memories I thought had long gone .
I have to say it has me in tears ,that’s how it was in our house too.
It does make you laugh doesn't it Muddy.
Must say though, I don't think we ever had Dripping butties! We 7 kids must have been so spoiled by our Mum, we always had every bit of fat cut off bacon and any meat before it went into our mouths. I know dripping butties were consumed by many in the 50's, but it just makes me feel a bit queasy at the thought of it. I felt the same when HWMO (a Londoner) talks about things such as Sprats, cockles, mussles and whelks etc that his mum used to give him all the time when he was a child. YUUUUUUUUK!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:44 PM

We must have been posh as we had a fridge - well, a large cubic biscuit tin sunk into the ground outside the back door which was used to keep milk and butter cool during the summer.
My mum was never much of a cook - I didn't realise vegetables could be tasty until I had left home. Her idea of cooking a cauliflower, for example, was to cut it in half and boil it until it was a grey mush. My nan was a much better cook and her cakes and pies were unbelievable. She never measured anything yet they always came out perfect.
On the subject of lard, one of our favourite delicacies was the 'dripping' left over from a roast dinner. This stayed in the larder in an earthenware bowl and was used for wonderful bread and dripping sandwiches!! MMMMMMM!!
They used to sell those at a local sandwich shop near to where I started work. A slice of white bread smothered in dripping and meat jelly sprinkled with salt. Two pence a slice from memory. Mouth's watering now.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:47 PM

That description of your Mum's cooking of Cauliflower made me chuckle Mick. The fashion back then for most Mums was to overcook all vegetables, If they stuck a fork in it after half an hour and they broke apart, they were cooked! Big difference now with most of us steaming all our vegetables.
I don't know though, maybe it is seeing it through the eyes of a child back then, but everything seemed to taste so much better than it does today. Of course taste buds fade with age, but all the same, overcooked or not, when a hot meal was placed before us as children, it actually tasted divine and wolfed down. I wonder why?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:48 PM

Stovies, stovy tatties, stoved potatoes etc, stovers or stovocks is a Scottish dish based on potatoes. Recipes and ingredients vary widely but the dish contains potatoes, fat, usually onions and often pieces of meat. In some versions, other vegetables may also be added
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
They used to sell those at a local sandwich shop near to where I started work. A slice of white bread smothered in dripping and meat jelly sprinkled with salt. Two pence a slice from memory. Mouth's watering now.
Oo, oo, oo dripping, meat jelly and Marmite sarnies - Saturday night supper after a night out on the ale. Lovely.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

26-02-2020, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Stovies, stovy tatties, stoved potatoes etc, stovers or stovocks is a Scottish dish based on potatoes. Recipes and ingredients vary widely but the dish contains potatoes, fat, usually onions and often pieces of meat. In some versions, other vegetables may also be added
OOH that sounds lovely, stovy potatoes.
That brings back memories of a huge pan of roast potatoes. Poor Mum, she would do her best to share them out equally on the plates between us squabbling brats. Obviously, if one roast tattie was smaller than the others she would put two small ones on someone's plate to make up for the larger ones that the others had. That would set off the boys, "why has he got more than us?" God, those words were spoken at almost every mealtime. Its only many years later when I was serving plates of food for my own Gorillas and got the occasional "He's got more than me!" that I appreciated how many times she must have felt like tipping the plates over their heads. ; Not Mum, she was the epitome of chill out. Nothing phased her, bless her.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
OOH that sounds lovely, stovy potatoes.
That brings back memories of a huge pan of roast potatoes. Poor Mum, she would do her best to share them out equally on the plates between us squabbling brats. Obviously, if one roast tattie was smaller than the others she would put two small ones on someone's plate to make up for the larger ones that the others had. That would set off the boys, "why has he got more than us?" God, those words were spoken at almost every mealtime. Its only many years later when I was serving plates of food for my own Gorillas and got the occasional "He's got more than me!" that I appreciated how many times she must have felt like tipping the plates over their heads. ; Not Mum, she was the epitome of chill out. Nothing phased her, bless her.
Essentially, it was a cheap meal made from leftovers. But, nevertheless, very tasty.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Are you sure you aren't my sister? That sounds like my house but in the 60s.

I remember our pantry, I can see it now in my minds eye with the chip pan with the lard all set sat on the wooden shelf ready for the next time we were having chips.

We had mucky fat sandwiches from the Sunday roast with loads of salt on eeek.

We ate lots of fried foods when I think about it yet none of us were fat except my Dad, well, he had a beer belly lol.

Dad was the Sunday full english chef all fried and we even had bacon dip.

I also remember my mum baking and me eagerly awaiting to spoon out the mixture and lick the spoon, I'd then run my finger round the brown mixing bowl to make sure I got every last bit.

I remember the Jelly pieces, I used to eat them raw!!!

We had a fruit and veg man come papping his horn also a fish man and van.

Good memories, thanks Shroppy.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 08:43 PM

I can remember when the bread man, milkman, knife sharpener man & rag & bone man all had horses & carts. The milkman's horse was called Molly, which annoyed my Mother as it was her name too, she was a snob.
The horse used to wait at our gate every time, until I went out & gave her a carrot or an apple, she wouldn't budge til she got the treat. I must have been about 4 then. I cried when the milkman changed to a milk float, a few years later, not the same.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top