Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:45 AM

Iron water.

I wondered if it's ok to use the water from my condenser dryer in my steam iron?

Is it the same as the special de-ionised water I've been buying?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Re: Iron water.

Originally Posted by carol ->
I wondered if it's ok to use the water from my condenser dryer in my steam iron?

I think it should be ok Carol, as long as it has not come into
contact with anything metallic.
Donkeyman!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:08 AM

It certainly wont have any hardness to it but it could contain minute fibres to clog the waterways inside the iron, so filter it through a very fine material to remove those micro fibres and you should have a usable ultra low cost soft water.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:33 AM

I just use tap water on the rare occasion I use my iron but I do have soft water (but it does contain iron)
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:50 AM

You could also use rainwater collcted in a plastic or glass container
and then filtered through a paper filter.
Donkeyman!
Make sure no metal is involved in this process or the water could
be re--ionised again! What is your 'iron' made from?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 12:19 PM

Thank you - I thought it should be ok.

My iron's made of plastic with a metal plate (obviously) It's a Bosch and the best iron I've ever had.
That's why I care about the water I put in it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 12:25 PM

The iron gets filled with dehumidifier water on the rare occasions that it's used.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

06-03-2020, 01:32 PM

My iron's made of plastic with a metal plate (obviously) It's a Bosch and the best iron I've ever had.
I expect the sole plate is seperated from the water tank?
But does the instrucion book say why the water should be
de- ionised specifically Carol?
Donkeyman!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 02:39 PM

I had the same problem with my last steam iron. I didn't use de-ionised water in it and eventually the steam holes in the sole plate become clogged with limescale, very much like a kettle does. Eventually it stopped working after making a real mess of the sole plate and a couple of items of clothing.

The steam iron I have now is a Morphy Richards Breeze. It's very good and I have used de-ionised water in it since new. No problems and for the cost of de-ionised water I would use it anyway, especially as I am in a hard water area. In Tesco it's around £1.35 or £1.50 for a 2.5 litre container and lasts quite a while. By far cheaper than a new iron!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 03:57 PM

We have a condenser drier (Bosch ~8 years old) and V always uses the condensate for topping up the steam iron (Bosch ~10 years old) and has never had a problem. Clothes smell really great even if she hasn't used fabric softener in the washing machine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top