Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 07:29 PM

Suet in "spotted dick"

While reading in another thread, I came across a reference to something called spotted dick. Not knowing what it was I googled it and found out that it contains something called suet. I vaguely remember hearing something about it decades ago and I had to look that up also.

Not meaning to insult anyone but isn't that quite unhealthy ?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 08:45 PM

Re: Suet in "spotted dick"

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
While reading in another thread, I came across a reference to something called spotted dick. Not knowing what it was I googled it and found out that it contains something called suet. I vaguely remember hearing something about it decades ago and I had to look that up also.

I googled dick and it's american for penis.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
There was a thread on here a while back where it was considered not to be PC to use that word spotted 'dick'. Instead it had to be Spotted Richard, apparently. No idea where that came from but the details are below:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...Richard&page=3

Post #22

"Also why do we now have to say Spotted Richard about a good old fashioned English Pudding"
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 08:58 PM

good old fashioned English Pudding
You eat it!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 09:52 PM

Plum jam roly-poly:

Ingredients

150g/5˝oz self-raising flour, sifted
75g/3oz vegetable suet
100ml/3˝fl oz cold water
pinch salt
5 tbsp plum jam
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Good heavens ! if you were going to google it, why in the world would you only google "dick". Why didn't you google "spotted dick".

Are you NOT very familiar with it ? It is, after all, an English pudding.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 01:24 AM

Probably no more unhealthy than Dumplings. They made with Suet too, and what about Suet pastry?

I remember my Mum, and my Nan, making Spotted Dick with custard for us when we were kids. Don't think I liked it much though.
bakerman
Mexico

08-03-2020, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably no more unhealthy than Dumplings. They made with Suet too, and what about Suet pastry?

I remember my Mum, and my Nan, making Spotted Dick with custard for us when we were kids. Don't think I liked it much though.
Ah, Ok. Just asking 'cause I don't use suet in anything. Thank you
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 01:22 PM

Ah, Ok. Just asking 'cause I don't use suet in anything. Thank you
I suppose it's the equivalent of the US's shortening? In this case, it's beef fat finely shredded then mixed with a small amount of flour to stop the pieces sticking together. Pastry, dumplings, puddings are normally made at a ratio of two to one, i.e, two parts self-raising flour, one part suet mixed with enough cold water to make a soft dough.

Rolled out fairly thickly and placed on top of a pie dish of stew then baked in the oven is what is called (in Yorkshire at least), a suet crust. The pastry is steamed from below by the stew making the pastry light and fluffy, while the baking gives it a nice crispy crust.

While using suet to be eaten every day is not recommended of course, a nice suet crust, spotted dick or jam/treacle roly-poly is a nice treat once in a while.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 01:45 PM

Steak & kidney pudding

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...kidney-pudding

This classic British recipe by Elaine Paige uses suet pastry, lean stewing steak and a rich, thick stout gravy. Serve with creamy mash and fresh greens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top