Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 02:12 PM

Re: Suet in "spotted dick"

Luckily these days we are able to buy vegetable suet. Much nicer than eating the fat around an animal's kidneys.

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Probably no more unhealthy than Dumplings. They made with Suet too, and what about Suet pastry?

I remember my Mum, and my Nan, making Spotted Dick with custard for us when we were kids. Don't think I liked it much though.
Too right Mups. SPOTTED DICK is a well-known and well-loved famous old fashioned English winter pudding from hundreds of years ago. It is also sometimes known as Spotted Dog or Railway Cake. Those PC idiots who insist on it being called Spotted Richard can go do one. It is what is, a delicious pudding made with suet, filled with either currants or raisins and served with a lovely custard.
YUM! Equally nice is jam roly-poly, and steamed syrup pudding, all made with suet.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Good heavens ! if you were going to google it, why in the world would you only google "dick". Why didn't you google "spotted dick".

Are you NOT very familiar with it ? It is, after all, an English pudding.
Sorry ... just fooling around.

"spotted dick" has been a source of schoolboy amusement for generations. I am familiar with the name but not the delicacy.

Steak & kidney pudding, on the other hand, is/was an old family favourite.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Too right Mups. SPOTTED DICK is a well-known and well-loved famous old fashioned English winter pudding from hundreds of years ago. It is also sometimes known as Spotted Dog or Railway Cake. Those PC idiots who insist on it being called Spotted Richard can go do one. It is what is, a delicious pudding made with suet, filled with either currants or raisins and served with a lovely custard.
YUM! Equally nice is jam roly-poly, and steamed syrup pudding, all made with suet.
It's called irony.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 09:27 PM

Beef and ale stew with dumplings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/b...tew_with_39262

Beef and ale stew is the most traditional of slow-cooked British classics, and is a corker of a one-pot winter warmer.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know ... I never could understand what was so funny about those jokes about spotted Richard who went to a STD clinic. It's a health complaint that should be taken seriously, irrespective of any embarrassing cosmetic disfigurement or rash.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 10:06 PM

Oh Omah .. that piccy of a steak & kidney is divine.
I could eat them until they come out of my ears.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I know ... I never could understand what was so funny about those jokes about spotted Richard who went to a STD clinic. It's a health complaint that should be taken seriously, irrespective of any embarrassing cosmetic disfigurement or rash.

If they are seriously suggesting that old dish is now called Spotted Richard, does that mean to say any men called Richard must no longer be called Dick either?
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 11:28 PM

and to think we grew up with Roger the Dodger
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
and to think we grew up with Roger the Dodger

Heaven forbid, Biffo.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top