Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:16 AM

I told You So

Forget all this nonsense about burning fossil fuels and global warming, this is the real reason.....The life blood of the modern world and it's running short....Despite what they tell you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51796806
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:36 AM

Re: I told You So

Doesn't look like too much of a problem yet:

World's Reserves-to-Production (R/P) Ratios by Year

One of the critical ratios analysts use to measure the longevity of reserves is the Reserve-to-Production Ratio (R/P), which is a measure of the number of years a reserve base will last at current annual production rates. Companies operating in the oil industry, as well as oil-producing countries, use this measure.

BP estimates there are 1.73 trillion barrels of oil reserves in the world.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:38 AM

Recently I read a very interesting article on bio fuels
"There are thousand of acres of land in rural areas that could be put to use growing bio-mass crops such as miscanthus (I have never heard of this in spite of being country born and bred) grass, the stems of which can be harvested. They can be burned to produce heat and/or electricity or converted into other useful products such as bioethanel which may be used to fuel cars. These crops are carbon neutral and therefore, as a substitute for fossil fuels, can reduce greenhouse gas emissions increase renewable energy generation"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
"There are thousand of acres of land in rural areas that could be put to use growing bio-mass crops such as miscanthus (I have never heard of this in spite of being country born and bred) grass, the stems of which can be harvested. They can be burned to produce heat and/or electricity or converted into other useful products such as bioethanel which may be used to fuel cars. These crops are carbon neutral and therefore, as a substitute for fossil fuels, can reduce greenhouse gas emissions increase renewable energy generation"
In NSW E10 petrol is 10% Ethanol made from locally grown crops by the Manildra Group. The NSW government mandated that all service stations stock E10, it is cheaper than ordinary unleaded.

Some enthusiasts here have also recycled oil from cooking to make diesel fuel though it is harder to get now that big business has cottoned on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Doesn't look like too much of a problem yet:

World's Reserves-to-Production (R/P) Ratios by Year

One of the critical ratios analysts use to measure the longevity of reserves is the Reserve-to-Production Ratio (R/P), which is a measure of the number of years a reserve base will last at current annual production rates. Companies operating in the oil industry, as well as oil-producing countries, use this measure.

BP estimates there are 1.73 trillion barrels of oil reserves in the world.
Assuming that that the demand for oil and oil based products doesn't increase Bruce. There are still many millions of people in the world who don't own a car yet.....

Even wind Turbines need lubrication.....So not totally carbon neutral.
And BP 'Estimates' ......They would say that wouldn't they...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
So as the population increases the need to grow food crops on that land takes a back seat Ben....?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-03-2020, 10:57 AM

In NSW E10 petrol is 10% Ethanol made from locally grown crops by the Manildra Group. The NSW government mandated that all service stations stock E10, it is cheaper than ordinary unleaded.

Some enthusiasts here have also recycled oil from cooking to make diesel fuel though it is harder to get now that big business has cottoned on.
So when the oil runs out what happens to the other 90% of drivers..?
And would a vehicle run efficiently on 100% synthetic ethanol Bruce.
Perhaps Diesels would......Oh, wait a minute, we are not making anymore diesel engines...

And how far would you get on a litre of cooking oil after cooking yer chips? Last time I filled up I pumped in 60 litres, that's an awful lot of chips....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-03-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So when the oil runs out what happens to the other 90% of drivers..?
And would a vehicle run efficiently on 100% synthetic ethanol Bruce.
Perhaps Diesels would......Oh, wait a minute, we are not making anymore diesel engines...

And how far would you get on a litre of cooking oil after cooking yer chips? Last time I filled up I pumped in 60 litres, that's an awful lot of chips....
Cars can run on 100% ethanol but there are problems with cold starting.

There is no chance of diesels disappearing in this country for a long time that's just for you overcrowded plonkers in Europe.

They don't get the oil from their missus they go round the Fish and Chip and Chicken places offering to remove all their old oil for free also the factories preparing fried food. The diesel is made in 44 gallon drums, As I say not so common now because the demand for this oil has grown
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Cars can run on 100% ethanol but there are problems with cold starting.

There is no chance of diesels disappearing in this country for a long time that's just for you overcrowded plonkers in Europe.

They don't get the oil from their missus they go round the Fish and Chip and Chicken places offering to remove all their old oil for free also the factories preparing fried food. The diesel is made in 44 gallon drums, As I say not so common now because the demand for this oil has grown

Same here Bruce until it became a moneymaking project for big business. They probably get more for the used oil now than they do for the stuff they cooked in it.....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Forget all this nonsense about burning fossil fuels and global warming, this is the real reason.....The life blood of the modern world and it's running short....Despite what they tell you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51796806
From your link OGF it seems its the share price thats collapsed
not the oil price?
The oil price supposedly is controlled by supply and demand
which again is supposedly determined by auctions on the spot?
And the share price has little to do with oil price once again
supposedly?
I think you are correct that supplies are running out only in the
Atraditionally dominant producer nations like Saudi Arabia and
other arabic suppliers but so far this is being supplanted by new
oil discoveries and shale gas etc!
However supplies will eventually run out if humans manage to
survive long enuogh??
Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top