Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 01:54 PM

Self Isolation Supplies

Well, the Corona Virus is upon us, and one of the methods of control is to hide yourself away for two weeks, with no or minimum contact with the outside world

I don't like panic buying or hoarding, but the situation may be forced on us , either as individuals or for the population as a whole

I'm sure most of us keep a reasonable stock of food in, but nevertheless, have we any suggestions for supplies to last us, say, an extra 2 to 4 weeks?

I assume this would be frozen, canned, and packets
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Re: Self Isolation Supplies

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
Well, the Corona Virus is upon us, and one of the methods of control is to hide yourself away for two weeks, with no or minimum contact with the outside world

I don't like panic buying or hoarding, but the situation may be forced on us , either as individuals or for the population as a whole

I'm sure most of us keep a reasonable stock of food in, but nevertheless, have we any suggestions for supplies to last us, say, an extra 2 to 4 weeks?

I assume this would be frozen, canned, and packets
Nothing much new in this isolation, for many it's like that for most of the time. Especially those who are retired and without immediate family, also those who cannot get out much or regularly due to disabilities.

Anything that keeps for a while I would guess. What I have done is to add to my usual stocks I keep in case I am unwell or cannot drive for some reason so cannot get to the shops. For that reason I also have an account with one of the big supermarkets, although that would be a last resort.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Yes for me without family I have to think “what if “ all the time .

For self or imposed isolation ?
My extra supplies would include porridge which I make most days for breakfast but choose your own cereal .
Cartons of long life milk ( these are not like the old sterri stuff )
Eggs (check dates)
Packets of bacon ( usually long dates)
Packets of tea ,jars of coffee , baked beans , canned or packet soup , canned fish , pasta and sauces, canned vegetables , canned meat ( Corned beef , Spam ) packets of potato mix (Smash)
Frozen goods ( how much depends on what kind of fridge/freezer you have )
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:35 PM

Chocolate .
This is essential
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Chocolate .
This is essential
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 02:55 PM

Having a ready supply of cash, for home deliveries etc
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 03:14 PM

I am always well stocked up here anyway, I am not near any shops so need to be prepared for the unexpected . I think I have enough bread flour and yeast in the freezer to keep the village in bread until Christmas

My freezer is always full of homemade meals,soups,curries, fish . I have only just eaten the last of the summers plums and damsons.

The milkman delivers every other day and sells a variety of products if needed . Free-range eggs can be purchased with the aid of an honesty box down the road,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Chocolate .
This is essential
I agree.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 07:54 PM

I get an home delivery due to no transport, distance from town and village shops don't really cater for allergies.

I'd started getting a few extra tins etc last year incase of brexit upheaval and I always get enough for at least a month over winter incase it snows (as deliveries cancel and I usually get mine every 2 weeks).

I did get a bigger shop last time but bigger cost wise rather than bigger cos of extra items. Got my usual Easter treat - (Lindt gold bunny egg and a bottle of Baileys) early incase press were right about it peaking around Easter and shops only stocking basic essentials to 'feed the nation'

Also got few packs of hot cross buns earlier than I usually would so I could stick them in the freezer for Easter, otherwise it was the usual fresh items fruit and veg and vegetarian stuff as following an anti-inflammatory diet at the minute to try and reduce the inflammation from arthritis

Glad I did after seeing an article in online papers about delivery slots being booked up at all major supermarkets for weeks.

Also got extra of dogs kibble as its a grain free one I buy online from a seperate place and already quite expensive. I suspected if there was a shortage the prices might get hiked further!

I did get in cough medicine, throat sweets and flu capsules incase symptoms started so I could take them first to see if any symptoms were a regular cold/flu first.

Didn't bother with hand santizer, I don't normally buy it and have plenty of soap and water in the house!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 08:06 PM

I looked up a survival site and have now bought some sweet potatoes, tinned ham, chicken and corned beef. We already had baked beans and pasta, loo roll, kitchen roll, tissues, tinned tomatoes, tuna, mackerell, soups. I've stocked up on gluten free bread. It's actually a good alternative for everyone because it takes weeks to go off. Funnily enough going through the cupboards I found some disinfectant wipes which kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria. I've also found disinfectant spray and liquid soap. I was also thinking of some cheddar cheese as it always has a long sell by date. They advise peanut butter and cereal bars.

I ordered lots of pet food a couple of weeks ago just in case it sold out. Funnily enough wild bird food was going short too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top