Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Re: bulk cooking

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I do all my dads cooking because I like to know he is getting nutritious food and home cooked meals. He loves me to make Shepherds pie, fish pies and stews.

I bulk cook for him and fill his freezer, he only has a small freezer but it can fit quite a few meals in there.

Do you do bulk cooking and if so what do you cook and freeze? I'm looking for other ideas.

I often make him soups but I do them fresh.
I make several portions of spaghetti bolognese and also curries, and freeze them in those clip boxes - not sure if your dad likes that sort of food. I also make corned beef hash topped with mash and chilli con carne with rice - all freeze well.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have about a gallon of good Jewish Chicken soup in my freezer - I defy any virus to argue with that!
Yes, indeed. I once had a Jewish GF who called it "Jewish Penicillin". I'll be making up a batch soon.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2020, 07:52 AM

Yes I do bulk cooking, but that is more by default than any serious planning

I live on my own, and if you want to do anything like decent cooking you end up with a largish amount
For example, if you buy a cabbage and a bag of carrots they will last for ages, and you usually end up having the same meal for day after day, and it becomes a bit of a race to see if you can eat things before they go off

The alternative is yo buy two carrots, three mushrooms, and so on, which immediately marks you down as a sad old man

So if the veg & salad are becoming rather manky I chop it all up and throw it all into the slow cooker with lentils or beans and a can of tomatoes
I have that for one or two meals, and the rest I freeze in one meal portions

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top